Keeping birds off boats. How?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, Sep 18, 2006.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

if I had a spike I know were Id put it ,,,,,,,,,,(somewere in cornwall)

2. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Well, I dont know if its the sailboat, the trawler and fishing, or perhaps something more sinister that is attracting longliner, but, if it is the fishing, you are ALL welcome to come down for a fishing trip if you give me some notice and dont all come at the same time. If its the sailboat, same goes except that I do not allow fish on board unless its already frozen or ready to cook.

However if it is something "more sinister", I will report it to the Democrats and see how far they will run with it.....#:cool:

3. longliner45

not to be off topic but my sailboat is gonna have a gutting trought,,and outriggers ,,and it will pull a small sock and doors,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the offer ,,,most graciouse of you ,,,,,,,,,sometimes we just play around a little,,,,,,,longliner,,,,,,by the way what part of the gulf are you in?

4. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

We are on Corpus Christi Bay, on the "north shore"

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Hans,
    I have found out that someone had the same idea... Give it a try and let me know if it works:)

Attached Files:

6. im412

im412 Junior Member

jack...there are none so blind as those that will not see ...:D

i think they feel sorry for the poor kitty, left all alone on the boat
    some secretly leave bird-seed out too... :p

7. harlemriverman

harlemriverman Senior Member

Chum, bird seed, bread crumbs, a Binelli auto loader with 3-1/2" 12 guage #2 bird shot, magazine extension, 10 round speed loader, and a bottle of Johnny Walker Black. Face aft.

8. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

Has anyone tried these?
    http://www.bird-x.com/products/stainless.html
    They are stainless steel spikes.

I have to say, I like Sams idea about the electric fence shocker. It’s been tested, and proven. 4 or 5 birds hanging upside down from the spreaders flapping their wings has got to be scary to the rest of the flock! (Sam I laughed so hard I almost spit Coke all over the computer.)

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Of interest they work on buildings in places nobody goes (ledges etc) but I wouldn't want them on my topside - if I stuck my hand on this it would hurt real bad :eek: - there again it would keep unwanted guests away! Just have to spend several hours removing them before going sailing I guess :(

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yes, it's great fun. The Cowbirds I zap, besides eating all the food, also have the shiftless habit of laying their eggs in other birds nests and then letting them raise their whelps (cuckoos do that also), a dirty trick not neccessarily limited to birds. A problem with rigging a fencer up for boats is that you need the victim to touch two wires at once, the power and the ground. The problem could be worked out though, and if the system was also rigged up to the stanchions/railings/lifelines it would work on birds and people. Not that many people want to crap on your boat, but there's enough that want to take crap off your boat when you're absent.
    I also had a catapult on another feeder that would launch squirrels about 50' into a pond. Sam

11. longliner45

would a picture of walruss do any good ,,,probably keep most of the freeloaders away too....ill try to be good ,,,,,I promise,,longliner

1 person likes this.
  12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Argh! Longliner you've hurt me to the quick! :eek: (well they do say truth hurts!!!!!) But could you get a camera to take one? :eek:

13. longliner45

Walruss,,Ill buy you your own camera,,as I see that you had to use your penetentury mug shot for the photo by the way you look like a good size fella and that === a whole lotta ugly,,your dearest friend ,,,longliner

14. EDon

EDon Guest

Birds on boats can be a difficult problem. Perhaps try using the Bird Spider from Absolute Bird Control. This product has stainless steel "arms" that move in the wind and is typically enough to scare the birds away. Boat owners generally place one four foot spider at each end of their boat. You may also want to consider the Repeller. This product has two rods mounted atop a base unit. The rods are solar powered and spin continuously (covers approx. 7 feet in diameter). Boat owners have also been known to attach spikes to their masts. If you would like more information or other options visit http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com

15. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

A really cheap and effective way to scare of birds is to tie a few CDs hanging from monofiliment in the rigging. They spin in the wind and reflect the sun. Doesnt work on Mocking Birds or Grackles...they are too smart. Also I have an owl with a head that turns in the wind that does good on Seagulls.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.