Keeping birds off boats. How?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, Sep 18, 2006.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

yes its 4am and we are talking about bird crap,,,,,,,,,,is there a shrink in the house?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if there is im sure he is busy,,,,,,,lol,longliner

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Some people will write anything at four in the morning - all sensible people should be asleep - ships watchkeepers 'aint sensible! I know I was one! just took a few years to find out is all (and 'liner good job I aint no Yank I'd have NEVER found out!!);)

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

smoothrider remember this is an international forum we are wide awake on the other side of the world. In fact we are having Sunday while you are still having Saturday, meaning we can read your posts before you've written them.

4. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

Roger that Poida;

I sure wasn't thinking about that at 4am, but yup, I'm well aware of time zones, international date line etc (when I'm awake :) )... I deal with zulu time (GMT) every day.

Regards/SR

5. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

My boat is tied alongside just 100 feet from where a shrimp boat is also tied alongside. I used to have Guls and Cormorants both and sometimes a Heron sitting on my boat. The mes was terrible. ESPCIALLY from a giant Blue Heron. He alone was worse than all the other birds.

Now my boat is clean all the time.

I bought an owl that has a rotating head from Wal Mart in the garden center. The original price was $20 but I got it on sale for only $8. The wind causes the head to rotate slowly or if there is no wind, the rocking of the boat will also cause the head to rotate.

The boat is always clean now. The guls dont even want to sit on it when the shrimper is culling his catch!!!

6. longliner45

dont strike me down for being off topic ,,but also for pest like dogflies that swarm your boat ,you can use a rubber dragonfly ,,,poof there gone,,,,,,,,,,and if welly were here we could all get shunken heads to ward off evil,,,,longliner

7. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Here on the Third Coast we have some very vicious horse flies that will attack you when you are sailing "the ditch". On a recent 35 day cruise down the ICW I noticed that when they were not taking hunks out of my head they were settled on the bottom side of the bimini. Soooo, I got a spray can of insect repellant that was 25% DEET and soaked the canvas of the bimini. The effect was immediate and lasted for 20 days. With no place to roost the flies prefered to eat beef in the feilds adjacent to the ICW.

8. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

OOOps, almost forgot another discovery on that trip. Hang a sheet of "Bounce" fabric conditioner in each of the screens on your ports and the "no see ums" will not come thru. Carrying a sheet in my shirt pocket kept them off my face while on deck. You will smell like a French *****, but you will not be driven insane by the little buggers.

9. longliner45

I use avon skin so soft for no se ums or diesle fuel whichever I could get,

10. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

WOW, I found that diesel fuel ATTRACTED them. They were stuck all over the tops of my jerry cans where fuel had slopped. I was thinking of putting small dishes of the stuff on the bow and stern to attract them away from the cockpit.

11. longliner45

no,,you rub it all over your body and they die on you ,,,,just one more of the glamor shots of commercial fisherman,,,,by the way I fished out of leesville .fouchoin ,and barraterra pass and grand Isle,,,,,,,,,,,,you fish?,,longliner

12. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Yes, I fish. Redfish, Trout, Shepshead, Ling, etc. No, not all in the same place..#:cool:

Mostly I sail. I have two boats an Albin 25 AC Trawler for fishing and a Gulfstar 36 CC for sailing.

13. longliner45

jimisbell; you are my new best friend, dont believe what the rest of them are saying about me..trust no one .especially not walrus or student ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or par,,,,,,

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Jimisbell, longliner is absolutely true you must NOT at anytime trust or believe anything WE say about Longliner; who is the kindest, politest, non swearing gentleman fisherman you could ever hope to meet! :rolleyes: You of course would not believe this to be true had I not warned you first that I (and others) are prone to be economical with the truth concerning our friend Longliner!:)

Longliner is that good enough old buddy! Good job you ain't a yank or I'd have really gone to town :eek: - that's the walrus, just tooooo nice:D

15. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

CDs work well...........mounted on thin fishing lines strung fore/aft, gulls here hate 'em. Use a bungee to demount/fit strings of CDs fast/easiyi.
    Essential to have a sharp spike atop masts too................

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.