Keels How to fix

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by offshift99, Sep 18, 2014.

1. offshift99

offshift99 New Member

Hi All I'm new here and New to the first time owning a sailboat and I have a SJ 24 with a Keel that is attached to the Hull (not a Tilt Keel) and the Previous owner got stuck on a reef ,where there is a damage to the Keel and the Plaster has been gouged off in some spots.One spot is in need of repair and I cant find Any info online as to how to repair Keels, Can anyone direct me to such a site and what I should check and how to check if the Hull or the Support Bracket for the Keel is needing repair?

2. offshift99

offshift99 New Member

here is a pic of the dmg keel

Attached Files:

3. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Is that fibreglass over the lead? If so, just get some resin and cloth and patch it. It's not a big deal.

If there aren't any cracks or any signs of movement anywhere, then the hull etc is probably ok. If in doubt, get it surveyed.

4. offshift99

offshift99 New Member

Yes there is a crack at the base of the hull but the prev owner says it should be ok but I was hoping to find out how and what to look for in this case.I have never dealt with a boat before so.. You can understand why im asking I will put a few pics on here showing the crack.oh I should mention there is no sign of water leaking into the floor where the Bracket bolts are ..Thank you for replying Noeyedeer

Attached Files:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Don't ever believe a single word a previous owner tells you. You must place it in perspective and this is the person looking to get out from under this boat and if he has a sucker, I mean potential buyer on the hook, he'll tell you just what you need to hear.

Your keel damage is typical and it needs to be inspected by a pro, because the aft section of the keel has cocked up with the impact and the ballast line has opened up. This had to be a pretty good shot, so the keel bolts are in need of inspection. To get the compression loads necessary to explode the laminate off the side of the aft root, you need to consider the bolts suspect and have a surveyor, familiar with this design, to look her over. A "yard guy" at the local marina might volunteer an assessment, but they generally haven't any idea what they're looking at, so unless you know them or they're willing to sign an affidavit about the condition of the keel and it's mounts, get a pro.

There's no "Cliff's Notes" to these types of repairs as each tends to be application specific and you have to perform several different, not necessary related tasks, to complete it.

6. offshift99

offshift99 New Member

Okay I will find a surveyor asap and your right.Thank You Par .update when survey is done.. cheers

7. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

The damage on the outside of the boat may be a lot less significant than the damage inside the boat.The surveyor will almost certainly look at the inside in great detail as there may be fractures to the reinforcement that will require grinding out and re-bonding.You will help him if you can remove all the clutter that may hinder his access to the keel stub inside the boat.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

WetFeet is pointing to what I've eluded to in my previous posts. Make sure he has access to the aft sections of the sump/keel to hull shell interface, which is where most of the damage will be found (typically) in this type of impact damage. Pull up hatches, floor boards, etc. so he can see inside. If it's nasty (not unusual) clean it up, down to gelcoat or laminate, so he can see what's going on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.