Hot Water Heater

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ORION1, Aug 4, 2005.

1. ORION1

ORION1 Junior Member

Anyone have any experience with taking water from engine to heat Hot Water Heater on the Yanmars.

We have a Yanmar 3GB which has, according to Yanmar, plugs for the purpose but they advise that the threads on Yanmars are British. I guess I will need British threaded barbe hose fittings.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The threads are NPT. You can get them at any hardware store.

3. ORION1

ORION1 Junior Member

Thanks so very much Gonzo. I was confused as it was the Yanmar Dist. here who advised me of the British threads. I will pull one of the plugs and take it to the hardware. I am sure that you are right as that seems so logical.

I am not sure what NPT is, but I have asked several hardware stores in this area for barbed fittings with British threads and they have looked at me with that look of, well you know the look I'm sure.

Earl

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

NPT National Pipe Thread. We call it Standard, the British call it Imperial.

5. ORION1

ORION1 Junior Member

Gonzo, well I thought we were right but it turns out that the threads are BSP not NPT. I have secured fittings that fit but may need more to hook it up to the heater.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Thanks for the info, and sorry about misguiding you. I changed a block drain plug in a Yanmar about a month ago and it was NPT.

7. ORION1

ORION1 Junior Member

Thank You GONZO for you interest in my problem, you did not misguide me at all. I and others thought you were right as that is so logical. Wish you were right too as these BSP fittings are tough to find. It seems kind of silly on a Japanese engine, don't you think?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The odd thing is that the plugs I changed in a 1GM were standard. What model is yours?

9. ORION1

ORION1 Junior Member

It is an 03 3GM. Maybe they are like everyone else mixing types.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.