Keel Cooling

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by dj0443, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dj0443

dj0443 Junior Member

I am putting a LS6 375hp engine in my pontoon.I want to put on a closed loop cooling system so that I can avoid the heavy weight of cast iron heads and exhaust manifolds.I would like to put cooling tubes inside my lifting strakes on my center pontoon.I figured on going with 1/4 or 3/8 rigid copper pipe.My question is how many feet and dia. would you reccomend.The boat is in fresh water only

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Most keel coolers pipeing will match the size of the water pump outlet.

Same for an internal tank with baffles in contact with the water.

Dave Geere books have formula for sizing.

3. steele5

steele5 New Member

Idea , venturehullscanadaincorporated@yahoo.ca
    The nicest way to cool using a closed loop , in my opinion , and in fresh water you should
    not have any problems with corrosion , is to pipe your glycol into an oil cooler , the same type used for transmission cooling a big automatic.
    These are inexpensive if bought new ( about $40 ) and can be plumbed with pressure hose ( heater hose ).
    The technique is , bathe the cooler in a box , and allow outside ( cold ) water to freely
    circulate through this box.
    This way , a temp guage can easily be attached , water temp can be monitored , and
    an open/close valve on the heater line can be adjusted according to cooling requirements.
    You may use two , or more , depending on how hard you run your engine.
    M.A. Steele , Canada

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.