Keel coolers etc., for Outboards I/Os ?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by tom kane, Dec 13, 2016.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Keel coolers etc., for outboards I/O`s

Funnels have been used for years even in old sail/steam to get rid of exhaust and to ventilate a boat to make a boat more pleasant to travel in, and old ideas can be new again if they have a useful purpose.

You can easily incorporate funnels/Ventilators in to modern design.

Image shows an old design with updated dry exhaust to get rid of fumes and even a space on cabin top for a Radiator/ Heat exchanger.

I spent hours clinging to an old dry exhaust on deck in the middle of a Fairmile in very rough seas and just me and the Captain were not sick.

Attached Files:

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

If you have two separate Radiators/ heat exchanges on your cabin top with fresh water and rust inhibitors like an auto you can have one to cool the motor and one to cool your jacket cooled mufflers and why not have a keel cooler for back up or use it to cool exhaust systems.

Having closed water systems can give you heating radiators in the cabin or warm the captains seat,like autos.
    Why not add air conditioning to aid cooling in the cabin and use the cool air to feed cool dense air to your motor.
    I like comfort and low boat maintanance when I go boating or camping.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

thats a lot of fans on the roof making noise, probably double the weight of your initial install so now you need a bigger engine, then a bigger boat and a bigger wallet

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Tom making life more complicated ? At least he has stopped talking about how a swivelling outboard unbalances the boat.

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I never hear the fans on my auto or, any other vehicles they only run when needed.
    Not a good reason for not having easy maintenance. Autos and big trucks have radiators and all other gear and they have to be reliable and carry that gear at 100MPH over rough roads through ice and snow, boats have it easy.

What could be more simple than installing a good fresh water cooling system in a boat, nothing at all complicated about that there are many millions in autos in use every day.

Swinging two three or four outboards from side to side with all that entails when with a better design makes no sense and is not an efficient way or safe way to control a boat.
    As for tilting multi outboards up and down how complicated prone to failure and heavy is that.
    Some of the links in this thread show there are some who are prepared to manufacture fresh water cooled systems.

6. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

The more I learn about marine engines the more I appreciate modern outboards.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Marine I/O and inboards have had heat exchangers as options for 40 years.
    Many come std and have for years as well.
    I dont know why Tom thinks they dont exist?

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.