Keel coolers etc., for Outboards I/Os ?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by tom kane, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Off shore boats frequently have 3 or 4 300hp outboards.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

lol...I must have misinterpreted " X 3 or 4" to mean a tripling of cost.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Boats fitted with outboard motors are really just kit set boats, not built as a fully planed and complete boats.
    Just buy an outboard and put it on something that floats disregarding balance and sea worthy and safety and comfort.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Tons of boats out there custom designed for outboards Tom and if you put a huge weight on the inside they wont perform.
    Many USA designed boats had one hull for outboard and one for sterndrives, not mentioned in the brochure but when you measured them they were different

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

If you teflon coated the inside it would last forever assuming telflon will conduct the heat?
    The commercial omc outboards that had teflon coated parts in the exhaust system looked as good as the day they went in even after many years of abuse

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Let's face it Tom, you are a contrarian ! What doesn't work, is not persisted with. You are familiar with those old sayings that mentioned that " x million Frenchmen can't be wrong" (not sure about what :) ), but you get the picture. I agree that boats with hulking outboards on the back do not look as clean as an inboard engined boat, but it isn't all about looks.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Outboard sales worldwide increasing
    Sterndrive and inboard static to dropping
    Outboards getting more features, more fuel efficient, more horsepower and longer wtee

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Perhaps we will see outboards and I/O`s with fresh water cooling soon, but electric may come quicker.
    If customers don`t demand better things they just don`t happen.
    I know what my preferences are in all things with out a sales or Politician or Regulatory Officer telling me what I should have.
    Include "Experts" too.

We have some evil laws now imported to New Zealand from overseas countries by our Politicians and it covers every day living, if you want to build or renovate your home you have to among many other things consult local Natives in case you may "offend" them.
    Our boating experts are trying to make it compulsory for any person on boats to be wearing life jackets all the time, so I opt for ground effect vehicle travel.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

For I/O's they have had heat exchangers available for 40 years.
    They even have cast stainless risers now so they never rust out.
    Outboards dont have a problem so nothing to solve there.

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

That is what I mentioned in a previous post powerabout.

I use to do maintenance on a boat 1960`s powered by a Sunbeam Rapier with header tank and heat exchanger cooling running an I/O drive and that set the standard for me
    for what I would want any of my boat motors to be like.Especially large expensive installs.

If you follow boating forums you must see lots of complaints or rotted out outboard motors, and owners wondering why there is water in the cylinders of their motors.
    and their motors won`t run.
    Can you come up with a fresh water cooling for outboards. What is good for autos with anti corrosive and improved cooling using 14 lbs of pressure must be better for outboard reliability and fuel performance. Putting sea water through exhaust systems is not a very good idea even if is through Stainless Steel as humidity,heating and cooling attracts moisture into motors.
    Is there an automatic disagree button on some threads?

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hi Tom
    Water in outboards is very very rarely caused by corrosion ( less old inline mercs that were made for freshwater only)
    Its water coming back up the exhaust or overheated engines then leaking head gaskets.
    Or bottom crank seal failure and that wont be helped by any cooling system changes.
    Dont forget probably half the outboards in the usa are used only in freshwater.
    Sure storing and outboard with sea water in it probably causes most issues.
    Use them everyday, they will last a very long time.
    You are making a solution for a problem that doesnt really exist.
    I would think the heat exchanger for an outboard in most cases would be half the size of the engine?plus plumbing plus 2nd pump
    Cheers

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How do you get exhaust out of an inboard safely without cooling it?
    And if you run it dry it will be very loud so now you are putting a dry muffler inside the engine bay?
    Thats half the size of the engine again?
    Not to mention the fire hazard.

13. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Just a few worries about salt water of the thousands in forums.

Oh, and my tilt motor rusted on the back side against my transom where you couldn't see it on my 200 opti. That was a pa
    Certainly corrosive environment is worrisome but so what? I know cats on both coasts that don't flush their boat motors.in to fix.
    posted 09-16-2010 09:46 PM ET (US) Profile for ktm3ten Send Email to ktm3ten What time interval or trip interval can one go without flushing [with freshwater] an outboard [that has been used in saltwater]? If run my boat for two days in saltwater before I flush it, is that [two day interval] a big deal? How about a week [of running in saltwater before flushing the engine with fresh water]? Does [the length of the time interval between flushing with freshwater] change if [boat use in saltwater] is irregular, [that is,] once or twice per year, [compared to] routine [use in saltwater]? Thanks

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Keel coolers etc., for outboards I/O`s

If you run rubber or plastic parts with water inside what happens if the water stops.
    If your exhaust is already dry you are prepared for that.

It`s all about how you design a boat in the first place.

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Sure a ship with a funnel works great, is that what you envisage for a pleasure boat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.