Keel bolt inspection

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Mychael, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

This question may have been asked before but I was wondering about inspecting the keel bolts when I pull my boat for it's anti-foul and rigging work.
    The boat was launched in 1985, it's a 26foot fin keeler with spade rudder.

In generally good condition I'm planning on replacing the standing rigging due to age and was wondering about the keel bolts..
    Should it be something as simple as checking the nuts for tightness or should I do something more?

Mychael

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

My limited experience with one boat indicates that stainless bolts stand up well.

I did have an issue in the sternmost holes as these carried the greatest load with the aft raked keel. The chopped strand/polyester composite had begun to break down. I think a boat using epoxy and woven glass would fare much better. The 3/4" bolts were fine but the glass had lost its integrity to the point of weeping water.

So just one thing to look out for.

Hope you find it in sound condition! It is a difficult job to repair properly. Major work involved.

Riick W.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The first place to look is the hull to appendage joint. If it's tight, has bedding and no obvious signs of break down or water ingress, move to the inside and see if any of the nuts are loose. Permitting the boat to hang in the slings as you physically try to wiggle the appendage, often can reveal a problem. Have someone on the inside, looking at the nuts (also place a hand on them as the appendage is rocked), so they can see (and feel) if they move, as you push side to side, is a real help.

After 20+ years, the bedding could be in need of renewal, especially if there has been any movement over the years, which would likely show during the exterior inspection. Much depends on how the boat is constructed, the spacing, location, material and locations of the keel bolts and the bedding type used.

Generally if you have a reasonably uniformly tight set of nuts on the inside, no visible sign of movement or gaps on the exterior seam, no leaks around the hull penetrations, then you're probably okay. Anything less then this warrants further investigation.

4. Don Huseman

Don Huseman New Member

I make lead keels and do keel bolt repair. Look in the bilge and see if there is any rust. Torque the nuts so make sure they are tight. Take one nut off and see if the threads are ok. Look at the keel hull connection and see if there is any rust. If all is ok go sailing and attach wire to the bottom of the keel and see if the keel moves when you are on a tack. You should get some depending on the hull thickness and shape.
    If any of these indications are bad call me at 302 5474604.

5. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Thanks don, but might be a little hard to call from Australia. But I'll use your tips.

Mychael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.