Kayak - trimaran, trying to find the best first toy

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by RLHornbeck, Oct 19, 2010.

1. RLHornbeck

RLHornbeck Junior Member

I have been lurking for a while but finally have caught the bug. I will be starting a few projects soon as I never just partially jump in to anything I go full bore. After years of power boat day cruisers and a Hobie 18 that I brought back from dead (had been run over by a backhoe) I have found myself wanting three different boats to replace the two I have now. They will be of the following concepts: one for small lake sailing / kayaking, one just big enough for one night camping excursions (small sailing trimaran) and lastly a large trailerable motorsailer (again maybe a trimaran but this will have lots of influence from the wife so not yet time to tackle).

At this point I am going to start building what I feel will be the quickest to build and start enjoying, the kayak / trimaran. The problem is that I have found many post that turn kayaks into trimarans but none that put the emphasis the other way, a trimaran that can also be a kayak. I like to get out on the water mainly to enjoy the water not to put myself through a workout paddling.

After searching through post after post and finding many kayaks that can be turned into trimarans I have located something close, the CLC Shearwater 17 or Chesapeake 17 with the Sailrig. I have a few questions though. Can you put a more aggressive rig on either of these? (Suggestions on this if possible) Would it hold up to the stress as they do not seem to have re-enforcements on the kayak or would you just bury the ama's? What about the leeboard, would it not be better to have a dagger centered with a smooth bottom “plug” for the hole when not sailing? What other improvements could be reasonably suggested? Are there any other boats I have not considered that I should look at?

I know I am new to this but want to make sure I get started with the best plans for my style of boating. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ryan

2. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

I am a bit confused as to what you want to do

a cross between a kayak and a trimaran?

this is the closest that I can think of
    http://www.triaksports.com/

these are good, a bit more home built though
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/

for single outrigger
    ninja pro google this - you can buy a kit.

I have more links for single outriggers, but may not be your thing

also google smalltrimarans.com
    lots of links

3. peterAustralia

also trilars by Jim Mikalak

google trilars seems a very nice boat

4. RLHornbeck

RLHornbeck Junior Member

peter,

Thanks for the response.

To clear things up a bit what I am trying to do is make a kayak that has a removable attachment to turn it into a trimaran (like adding the CLC sailrig to a kayak), but I what the performance of the trimaran to be the main focus.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

6. peterAustralia

Hmmm

not easy requirement
    here is a canoe that can be turned into a trimaran

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/ostlind/a18-t/index.htm

the issue is that the kayak has pretty small volume, and a high performance trimaran will have a lot of volume for the center hull

I have seen is done, with a CLC kayak but with a pair of very large outriggers. The trouble is that more weight and effort goes into building the outriggers than the original kayak. The example I can recall, each outrigger was about twice the volume of the central 17ft kayak, where exactly I saw it... hmm some yahoo group somewhere....maybe proa_file

7. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Minimum

Hope, the performance is acceptable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NzY-EcSfp0

8. RLHornbeck

RLHornbeck Junior Member

I have found close to what I had in mind in this rig, but I have no more information on it other than this picture. It looks to me to be a CLC kayak with the "sailrig" attachment on it. What is different than any other designs I have seen so far is the rigging. If anyone has or knows where to find more information on this kayak please let me know.

Thanks
    Ryan

[​IMG]

9. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

The rig pictured looks like a much better effort than most I've seen. From the screecher sheet fairleads attachment points on the rear aka, it looks pretty large! Doubt you would use it going upwind, as it can't be sheeted very hard to the main.

I've always thought that providing some type of tramp between the akas would be a huge bonus to comfort, as sitting in the seat really restricts moving. That rules out foot pedal steering though. I guess as a more sailing-focused type I hate giving up tillers, and flat bladed kayak rudders are twitchy under sail at speeds higher than paddling.

I hate left handed paddles - they always remind me of my first outing in a racing kayak - immediate swim, as I've always used a right-handed paddle in whitewater. If I had started in the racing kayak I'd hate right handed ones.

Got to wonder a little bit about the leeboard and if the attachment is up to the loads possible.

Bet it moves pretty well on a broad reach! Be a nice Raider.

--
    CutOnce

10. RLHornbeck

RLHornbeck Junior Member

The leeboard has me a bit concerned as well. I had am thinking about a dagger board instead. There seems to be room, except it would be between your knees as you are seated.

The rudder i had not thought about. I will have to spend some time in research on that on how to make a better one for sailing that will still work well while paddling.

I like the idea of the tramps, but might have to raise the beams a bit as they will probably be in the water alot.

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

13. RLHornbeck

RLHornbeck Junior Member

The Warren design looks nice, and really what I am looking to achieve. I would like to do this through the building process and not just purchase though.

The kayak pictured above was taken at MASCF this year if that helps anyone remember anything.

Thanks again
    Ryan

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    This is one really cool boat-thanks for the link!

click on image:

Attached Files:

15. Blacky

Blacky Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.