Kayak seats

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by cthippo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I know everyone wants the bare minimum cost, but you might look into go-kart racing seats. The only problem is that they have a high back/ side support which would not be necessary in a kayak. The side support is necessary in the cart due to the side force going around a turn.

The shape is appropriate to sitting in the boat - both kayak and go-kart are similar to sitting on the floor with your feet out in front.

Marc

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

the high back is totally undesirable in a kayak since many of the maneuvers, including doing a roll, would be blocked by the seat back. Plus there is the very real and dangerous condition of the seat back hindering your ability to exit out the kayak in a hurry.

Best solution in my opinion is what the native kayaks did, just a flat pad right under your butt. They made theirs out of moose hide, but since that is kind of hard to find now, I find a 1/2" thick closed cell foam pad works for me.

For bonding the foam regular old contact cement works well. Easy to use, inexpensive, waterproof, tough and flexible. That is what holds the sole on your running shoes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.