Kayak sailing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Stoffeltoo, Jan 1, 2012.

1. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

Dino, I got a windpaddle but find it was only really effective directly down wind. 45 degrees you say? I can point 45 degrees but without any kind of leeboard I get pushed down wind mostly. I also had trouble with controlling the sail and holding the paddle. I made a paddle holder which was ok, but still not ideal. FEKs is what I'm headed towards, serious sea kayaker use this, watertribe is using this.

2. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

I got a large wind paddle for my inflatable Aire sea tiger and it did an honest 45 deg. I was so happy with it I got a small one for my Chesapeake 16 and it did a little less. I reckon the center tube of the inflatable acts like a keel reducing leeway.

As others have pointed out everything is a compromise. The wide beam and reserve bouyancy of the inflatable makes for effortless downwind sailing even in +20 knots wind and 3 foot seas without paddle just using rudder. With the CLC its better to hold on to the paddle and use body english to keep things straight especially surfing down backs of waves.

But when its time to paddle the inflatable requires more effort than the hard shell kayak.

Dino

3. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

I've got a sail for my Hobie Kayak, it is simple and works great, check Hobie's website.

4. spidennis

5. Stoffeltoo

Stoffeltoo Junior Member

This is turning out to be an interresting topic indeed. I was informed by the secretary of the club which hosts the annual Round the Island race in South Africa that I cannot sail with a PD Racer as it does not meet the minimum length of 12 feet:mad: I could still enter with my kayak as it meets the minimum length requirement;) I was however afforded a goodwill gesture to earn some bragging rights with the PD Racer by showing it off:rolleyes:

Before I hijack my own train of thought. I have posted my idea for a single outrigger mod on the kayak with a 6m2 bermuda type windsurfer sail. I have the materials and want to start building the outrigger hull with the hope of finishing it before the race in 2 weeks' time.

I have a 4ft leeboard, rudder and rudder case, carbon fibre flag masts for the aka' and 3mm doorskin ply for the hull as well as some softwood for hiking seats on the aka.

The sail is non furlable and has no reefs, so I do expect an exciting ride. I was watching the kite thread with interest but a SOT will prolly make it impractical and cause a seperation of sailor attached to kite from floatation device:D

In my case kites will be impractical as the return leg is normally against the wind and I would like to be home before supper:D

Q: Acient Kayaker, is it too much sail and will hiking boards/planks be sufficient to balance the kayak or should they be extended further?
    Finally, would 110mm thin walled 2.5m PVC make adequate floats?

I want to finish the race this year and hopefully well within the allotted race time

6. spidennis

do you have a link to this race?

7. Stoffeltoo

Stoffeltoo Junior Member

8. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Oh, but I do!

There are a lot of advantages to a small boat like a kayak, price, availability, portability, ease of storage, access to narrow waters etc. Retaining all that while adding a safe and effective sail rig isn't easy, but I never said I'd give up trying . . .

9. spidennis

For expedition kayakers a sail is an important safety item.
    The guys down under use them all the time ....
    this guy does extensive blogging on the subject
    http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/

Stow it while it's not needed , but deploy it when the wind is in your favor!

10. spidennis

I see the race listed in the Calendar but not much else. Keep us informed on how it goes and don't forget the pics!

I like to see how others in different parts of the world go about doing things, sometimes it's MUCH different and things can be learned just by observing. We are all always open to some good ideas to try out!

11. Stoffeltoo

Stoffeltoo Junior Member

I have some smudgy cell phone pics of last year's race, I'll try and locate them and post, thanks for the interest. I also made a simple pacific type sail from an internet plan but I found its broad reaching performance disappointing, upwind sailing an exercise in futility and running with the wind rather docile

12. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

I make most use of the downwind sail by planning the trip taking advantage of known wind patterns. Sea breezes for instance or semi permanent pressure patterns in some parts of the world like Bermuda high, trade wind highs, or Balkan high in conjunction with mid east low that produces the famed "Meltemi" or "etisian" winds documented for over 2000yrs.

In Greece the Cyclades island chain is oriented along the Meltemi wind N@15-25knots. A total run of about 80 miles with picturesque inhabited islands every 3-8 miles. Get tired and paddle into port deflate the kayak and cart it into the ferry boat for the return trip. For the more adventurous continue 72 miles over open water to Crete.

Dino

13. spidennis

Attached Files:

14. spidennis

You just gotta share your trip report!

15. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

FWIIW I found this sketch of an outrigger system for an open canoe in my records: the floats could be about 40 lb buoyancy, I'd reduce them to 2' x 1' x 4" - and could be made with 3mm ply or door skin tops and bottoms (1/4 ply sheet) and a single 8' plank, 1 x 4" for the sides. The curve radius would need to be around 8" - my guess - to allow the ply to bend, and the crosspiece length would be about 8'. The sail areas shown are about 27 and 45 sq ft.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.