Kayak Boat Hull Material

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Watt52, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Watt52

Watt52 New Member

I am in the process of building a strip built kayak, or in this case a hybrid kayak using strip built technique for the deck and plywood hull.. What material would anyone recommend for the hull? 1/4" Luan or something else.
    I will be epoxying and fiberglassing the entire boat so would the hull material make a big difference? Also any suggestions about the best way to cut it to fit the forms or use the stitch and glue method? Just looking for some ideas...
    thanks

2. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Any thin plywood made with waterproof glue is fine if there are no voids in the core plies. Some of the weakest woods on Earth are commonly used as the core in modern strip planked composite sandwich boat building without problems.

3. Watt52

Watt52 New Member

Thanks for the answering. Would you recommend door skin luan or something a little thicker.. Obviously i need something flexible enough to bend around the forms? Also being so thin, would you recommend screwing it to the forms or glue?

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i'd use both screws and glue,,and door skin would be fine to use,,,as long as your using it for a "form" and not for "strength.
    quick question,,,did you come here from "yahoo answers"?
    nice meeting ya newayz hehe ;)

5. Watt52

Watt52 New Member

I will be using it for forms and hoping the strength will come from the epoxy and fiberglassing. Once finished i doubt i would be using the boat in rough water anyway where alot of rocks etc. Mostly the sound and local lakes. I am wanting to use the door skin etc for the hull and instead of strip building the entire boat... No.. i didnt come from Yahoo answers.. I was looking around on the internet yesterday for Q&A forums on boat building and happened to find this one... haha nice meeting you also Jim

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

It may be helpful check out my blog which goes through a step by step strip plank canadian canoe -
    au.360.yahoo.com/greenwoodenfish
    I used 5mm strip planks, which are probably as light as you would want to go, otherwise you would sand through them while finishing and fairing, and the skin wouldnt be thick enough to provide sufficient rigidity with the fibreglass on both sides.
    Personally, unless you are really keen on the wood finish and style, I would go for a plywood canoe/kyak to avoid the work and fuss inherent in this method.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wellz cool,,i was asking cause i sent a dude here from there asking the same question,,hehe ;)
    and i guess you'll learn,,but when ya ask 1 question here,,,you get 38.7 questions asked to you before any answers hehe ;)
    so on with it,,,,,,have ya ever done any of this work before,,(not as job like,,just ANY experience) glassing,,using epoxy< im not a epoxy dude,,but they'll be here soonz hehe ;)
    and be patient,,some times it takes a few days for the "old kodgers" get their glasses clean,,but they'll be here ,, dont say i didnt warn you hehe ;)

8. Watt52

Watt52 New Member

thanks rwatson: I will check out your blog on it...

the1much... I hear ya.. haha...i have done some epoxying and glassing before..I used to live in Florida and did repair work on boats..just in Florida the boats were on a much bigger scale.. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.