Kayak appendages

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nemo, Feb 5, 2003.

1. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

A friend of mine asked me to help him improving kayaks' surfing attitude, and I' thinking about lateral foils near the stern zone, since the forward part of the boat is out of water when surfing waves. Reynolds number is low, is it worth giving the appendages a foil shape or a flat shape is enough?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

what kind of kyack and what waves kind of waves, hallow barriely waves or somthing flater and slower?

3. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

The Kayak is short, about 1.6 metres, flat bottom, big volume. The waves are hollow, not flat.

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

If you're talking about a Kayak in the traditional sense, I'm not sure that I'd agree with your ideas on foil location. Most sea-kayaks have 'foils' - more like a very pronounced flare at the bow to prevent it from nosediving. In surf this problem would be even more critical as burying the bow could result in pitch-poling. Placing foils at the stern would increase the lift at the back, making the problem even worse.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

With a rather flat bottom a surfboard type skeg would work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.