Filling in transom holes from sterndrives.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Steve13, Apr 18, 2024 at 9:54 AM.

1. Steve13

Steve13 New Member

Hi, Looking at some pointers in filling in my transom holes.

I am replacing the old twin sterndrives and engines with a new engine - long story but well committed now.

The old “holes” need to be filled and a new centre “hole” cut. I have removed the inner core and made a new core from 2 x 18mm Marine Ply all bonded together with thickened epoxy and is ready to be bonded to the outer skin.

I have 3 questions.

1. Should I bond the new core in place first? Advantages are that I can see that the new core is flush tight against the outer skin. I can use the old sterndrive mounting holes to brace the inner core tight against the outer skin together with a number of through additional bolts across the core. I can use the “bonded” core as a blanking plate to finish off the outside.

2. Alternately, should I fill the holes first, make good and flush on the outside and using a temporary blanking plate on the inside. Advantage is that the new core will have “presumably” a better and stronger bond? The filling of the holes will be variety of CSM and triaxial cloths and using vinylester resin as this is compatible with the original boat layup. Then gelcoat.

3. The outer skin is 10mm thick. Using the bevelling 12:1 ratio I just do not have the width at the top and bottom for 120mm. At the top I have 75mm and the bottom I have a minimum in one place of 60mm. Width is all fine and at a 45degree angle at the bottom I have 100mm. Please see image. Is there an alternative way round that or am I worried unnecessarily? The inside of the skin has been prepared and perfectly flat and the new core will be tabbed in place after bonding.

Appreciate any guidance.

Attached Files:

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would bond in the new core first. No need for a temporary former.

I've seen bond zone bevel ratios as low as 8/1. So I would take the repair zone as close to the top and bottom as possible. Then not worry about it.

Good luck

C. Dog and fallguy like this.
  3. Steve13

Steve13 New Member

4. Tops

Tops Senior Member

I am of the school of largest pieces of cloth first when covering the new core to the existing beveled outer transom.
    Welcome to the forum and all the best on repairs and repowering.

5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

For that situation,just do the best you can.I'm of the persuasion that increases the size of successive pieces of glass as the job progresses.What I do recommend is using a piece of melamine faced chipboard as a surface to mould on and temporarily locating it securely on the outside surface.Obviously it needs to be waxed for release purposes and after waxing handle with care and DON'T touch the bonding surface before you have cleaned any wax off your hands or discarded the gloves you wore.Gel on the new surface and then add the first plies of mat.Then bond in your core,but with no sterndrives you might not need such a thick piece except for appearance's sake.You can bond the core as well as possible then add the inner laminates before stripping away the melamine faced board on the outside and dealing with any cosmetic issues.There shouldn't be too many of those if you take the time to set the job up accurately and it takes less time to prepare well than to do a big cosmetic job.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Install core first. Precoat plywood as it likes to suck resins. Bond the edges lightly. Use shipping tape over a spacer to allow for the glass margins. So, you’ll have an mdf backer with a spacer and ship tape over it. The spacer fits inside the keyhole. After the core is in place; you can fill the margins better from each side after removing the former. The other way sucks, too much room for poor lamination.

7. Steve13

Steve13 New Member

Thank you – pretty much what I intended. I have pre-coated the core with 3 coats of resin, the first 2 “thinned” with a little styrene (first 6% the second 2%) for absorption.

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Sand it for mechanical key a bit..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.