Ka 3-65 Propeller Design

Discussion in 'Props' started by Anupam, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Anupam

Anupam Anupam

Hi,
    I am an Engineering undergraduate and have have designed a Ka 3-65 Propeller for my Underwater ROV project. I got all the blade data from PNA and developed a 3D model in Rhino. But the blade doesn't look like the usual normal propeller blades(I don't have much experience of propellers!!), although it does match with the data and projection drawings that's given in the source.

Anyone has any experience of the using the Ka 3-65 series and can confirm if the blade model is fine or not??

Any help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Have no experience with Ka 3-65 series, but little experience with propellers and this one seems a bit flat. There's hardly any skew.

3. Anupam

Anupam Anupam

Yeah...the Ka series don't have any rake and skew(according to the diagrams).

Attached Files:

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You didn't do pitch line or section development. What edition of PNA are you using? In the 1988 edition read Vol II, Chapter 6, Section 6. Geometry of the Screw Propeller.

5. Anupam

Anupam Anupam

Ohh...yes, i didn't consider pitch development. I just followed the basic blade data(without pitch).
    In the section 9(Ducted propellers) of Chapter VI in Vol II, i don't think they have given about pitch development much. Also in this paper on Development of thrusters for ROV, they haven't discussed about pitch developement.

Thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

6. Anupam

Anupam Anupam

The Ka series have a fixed pitch right??
    But how to decide the pitch?

7. igorss

igorss Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.