K800

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I wrapped the prow with electrical tape to start with. I made it sticky side out. You will see why three rolls of electrical tape will not be enough tape to complete the hull later.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I think that the hull looks pretty good as is and I KNOW I couldn't have done better myself. :D

I Promise I'll post pics when I'm done =0)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Okay, fine, one last pic. I'm separating the center strands of the braid, that's more than you really need to know at this point. Sorry!! :p

[​IMG]

4. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Looks like you are having great fun building this. Warning: this kind of activity is addictive!

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Yeah, I meant to go eat something two hours ago, then I meant to go to bed 1 hours ago. :eek:
    Neither has happened. Thanks for snapping me out of it I'll figure out the measurements, then cut and go to bed. I found a better way though. :idea: Just now even:D

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=MaADT-jBH-XliAKLyfWBCg&ved=0CJsBEPMCMAE

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Okay, the paper is causing problems. I will be removing the paper and trying to refit with wood. :(

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

If anyone cares, when starting braiding ropes or whatever, numbering the curls you use to make the pattern can be helpful because you can look at the numbers for reference. Duct tape comes in an assortment of designs and colors so if that works for you then =0) YAY!

I don't know if anyone cares to braid their own ropes anymore. I do it for fun when I am talking to someone on skype or watching the weather channel. I love their new series with the alaskan coast guard!! I also think that red and black ships are easiest to see. Especially a dark red and ship.

I wish I could show you a sailboat... Actually, I can paint my model like it... I think you guys will like it <Knowing nod>
    Black above the boot, whitest boot you can imagine, and red bottom with white or yellow deck, but it yellow it must compliment the red.

I gotta go help my neighbor get ready to make some meatloaf. Yummm!!

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=======
    Just a tip you may already know: you can make a rock hard "fillet" if necessary by using baking soda to make the shape then squirt it with cyano.
    Don't get cyano and baking soda on your fingers at the same time!! Burns!
    Used this to assemble thin bulkheads in RC Helicopters, and when building a model plug or one off. Works quickly and well-just don't use cyano on anything that will get wet-it will be likely to let go. For instance, don't cyano a lead keel bulb to a plywood or glass fin-it may fall off in the water.
    Good Luck and have fun....

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

THANKS!! I like that idea!! I might use it in a place where the rest of the structure of the boat will hold it together and then chisel it out after wetting it. Say, maybe to make the centerboard box so that it has a hollow box inside it for rigging the centerboard movement... Naw, probably the bicycle cables I wanted to use will be fine :D But you know, anything can be used any which way...

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I just came up with a way to make a reflector that will shine light out of an rc boat. It will be something clear like fishing line. It will be wrapped with a reflector and then the light scattering around inside will cause the boat hull to glow. It is complicated having to do with reflections and clear plastic, but with a led flashlight and a couple of watch batteries..... endless possibilities exist!!

EDIT! Oh no, what if there is a monster in the ocean big enough to go after something skimming the surface that is glowing just the right blue-green and your new million dollar sailboat has to go up against a bottom dweller megalodon nobody's ever seen before? Maybe I'll make the hull clear so you can see her coming to get something to feed the babies with before she gets to you. LOL! (Good time to douse the lights.)

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I found some new materials that were lying around the house. (Literally) One person's garbage, is another's gold mine!!!

Layers of this might make up the keel. That will require pounding stuff like finishing nails and stuff through the material, and I will need a vice to do that. (I don't have one.)
    [​IMG]</noscript>

I was cutting all the paper out and this is what happened. I think God is trying to tell me something. What do you guys think>? Most of my ideas come from wild life, trees, things that He made and inspired me with. =0)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

So, I'm moving my work area . I will be working in the kitchen rather than the bedroom. I get really good wifi in the kitchen even though My router is at the Neighbor's house and it is three trailers down, and across the road. We both live in tin cans that block signal and she is more than 100 ft away. I'm glad I know what parabola means. =0)

13. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I cam across a plumbing putty that I think I can use around a fiberglass screen that was in my screen door. I think I will be making a two piece mold, fitting the electronics inside and sealing it off with weather stripping, Then filling compartments up with expanding spray foam. Should work well enough and will be lighter than concrete =0) Oh, and I think I might be able to make it lighter and go farther by using multiple layers of screens.

14. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I think I want to make the deck a ft higher... well uhh 304mm higher.

15. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Last night I tried to use nylon material and fiberglass resin. It worked... sorta... I think I didn't get enough hardener with the resin because it just got super sticky, but could still be peeled apart. Maybe I should not use wax paper to make it not stick to anything else? I think that the resin got too hot for the nylon because it started shrinking. Maybe if I cut a frame that was too large, then cut out a bunck of layers of the nylon and stuck them in the oven with a brick on top of the whole thing they would melt together and shrink to size? LOL! Worth a shot I suppose... Trick = only try stuff with tiny amounts of material, that way if something happens and you start a fire it will hopefully be a small fire with a tiny amount of fuel. LOL! (I have 3 full fire extinguishers on hand all the time.)

Sometimes the craziest things cause reactions. I had taken apart a volkswagon engine and was putting the oil pan on when I ran out of silicone sealant and was working with blue stuff. I opened a new tube of sealant that was the same brand even, but red, and the two reacted. Weird huh!?!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.