Power

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Mike D, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

Is this of any use?

First - some attached notes

Michael

Attached Files:

2. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

........and here's the spreadsheet

Michael

Attached Files:

3. yipster

yipster designer

looks like i start liking spreadsheets this way

Michael,

let me be the one to say:
    looks like i start liking spreadsheets this way
    while i'm still trying to learn to read.
    (and find some formulas for option-2 (+3))

compliments!
    yipster

Last edited: Nov 14, 2002
  4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Bravo for all your efforts Mike - I look forward to having a bit of a play with the spreadsheet as soon as time permits. It will be interesting to plug in the numbers from a few known vessels and see how they compare....
    I see that a number of others have downloaded the info also - hopefully they will respond with their thoughts etc too......

It will be interesting to see how the numbers stack up against other performance prediction methods - in particular as they relate to Option One, given that it is to be a lightweight, outboard powered boat....

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. Brian

Brian Junior Member

Templates

It is great that you found http://hawaii-marine.com/templates and are making it known. I appreciate that very much.

But just want to add some clarification. These templates are for everyone. They are suited for beginners as well as professionals. There are clear instructions on how to use them. The only thing that is not explained is the operating the program for which the template was made. For instance if the template was made for Excel it is assumed that you already know how to run Excel. Same with MathCAD, Word, etc.

If anyone has a interest in me developing a particular template please let me know about it. I want to focus on meeting the needs of the marine design community.

7. Peter_T

Peter_T Junior Member

Mike,
    Your .xls file is quite professionally edited. Anyway, it only opened as a webpage. Do you have a 2000 version, that we can test the change of some parameters. Otherwise, just the .pdf file is enough as you have posted.
    Peter

8. yipster

yipster designer

hello again Peter,
    Mike was a NA pro, he recently passed the .xls power spreadsheet however still opens -unlocked- in win 98...

yipster

9. Peter_T

Peter_T Junior Member

It can be open for viewing only. It is locked and cannot be unlocked. It did not ask for a password. So it is not compatible for 2000 series, I think. Thanks a lot for the concern.

Another subject: How can we post drawing .dwg or dwf files for viewing. Cad drawings can be converted to .ppt and .doc file etc. But there is no window to activate the drag mode. It will be interesting to know this feature. I know most sites can only take text. This one is special and very active in stating opinions and more than one answers. Some of course may just chat a bit.

10. yipster

yipster designer

Peter,
    the .xls power spreadsheet (and exel!) i have to try again, same goes for autocad! iff asking a question was just as easy as getting an answer... do remember seeing the .dwg and .dwf files display question here on the forum before though...

yipster

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry - I didn't catch your question until now, and I'm afraid I don't have a perfect answer for you, yet. You can certainly attach small dwf or dwg or dxf files to posts (or if you need to post any other format you can zip it using winzip or another zip program or email the extension and it will be added to the list of permitted extensions on the forums). But as you have observed, there are two issues:

1.) By default attachments open in a new window which I like for things like xls or pdf files so I can keep the thread in the background while viewing the material referenced... this does seem to mess up the voloview plugin though. Still, you can save the attachment and open it without any trouble using the free voloview software, so I don't regard this as a major issue.

2.) The big problem though involves how PHP is compiled which by default includes a file size limit which I know you have run into. Also by default vBulletin 2.x stores attachments in the SQL database, so there is a file size limit there too which I am hesitant to mess with for performance and backup reasons (most image attachments for example are fairly small in file size, from 30k and almost always less than 400k, but especially 3d DWG files become very very large, so if a number were attached that would mean a lot more time to do the weekly SQL database backup). Also I'm not sure if I can get PHP and MySQL to handle very large multi-MB attachments right now without hurting the overall performance.

For now my recommendation for sharing larger 3d dwg/dxf files would be to upload them to your own web space and then provide a link. There are lots of places which provide free web page space, or I could probably even provide you with an FTP login if you need some web space to upload larger drawing files to show.

In the future though, I will try to make it smoother to attach larger files. When vBulletin 3.x comes out for example, it will include the option to save attachments as files rather than in the database which will make the backup process much easier (since attachments don't need to be backed up over and over again if they haven't changed for example). In the future it would also be very neat to integrate a space with the gallery and the forums where our members could upload drawing files to show or to share and have the software automatically create thumbnails, etc. from them and lots more, but I haven't figured out if there is any easy way to facilitate this yet. I am interested in doing something like this, but I can't offer any ETA on when it might be implemented.

Sorry for the long post, and please do keep the ideas coming for how the site & forums can be improved. I can't promise I will be able to implement them all right away, but I do really appreciate the good ideas and I'll do my best to work on them as soon as possible or put them in place as soon as a workable solution (software) comes along which can be adapted for our members' needs.

12. Peter_T

Peter_T Junior Member

Thanks for inf:

I received message that the .dwg file of 1.25 mb is like 9mb in the system that is much exceeding the gallery limit. Now, it understand that it may mean the collective capacity with other transfers in the system. Sending in in .dxf file of 1.5mb got the message of 4+mb. File convertion to the R14 save a bit, but it may distort the 3d display.

You right about the volvo view media. I shall reinstall this feature to test it out. My attempt to convert the cad display to .doc and .ppt file got very poor display, so I give them up to stict to .dwg file.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.