Just how bad is this idea... The Peanut Galley

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cthippo, Dec 25, 2020.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Fat people have a lot of buoyancy, so there is little danger of drowning. It is always possible to add water wings or something similar to help them float face up. On the other hand, weights on the back may be easier.

2. Robert Biegler

Robert Biegler Senior Member

I think the ideal solution already exists. Expandacraft makes 4 ft hull modules that you can assemble according to the stability and payload you need. Combine an Expandacraft catamaran with Ron Rantilla's front rowing system, and you have a boat that is as easily propelled by human power as you can make it, and that is stable. There is even a video of a 12 ft version:
    If that doesn't have enough payload, make if 16 ft. Make it longer still if you want to go on the water together.

For more information on the front rower, see https://www.youtube.com/user/ronrantilla

bajansailor likes this.
  3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Like I said, i've had her out in my 17' x 25" beam cedar strip boat and she did fine. She would have preferred a little more primary stability, but so would every new paddler. By the time I get around to building her a boat her skills will probably have improved to a point where she is ready for something more sporty anyway.

Manufacturers are finally starting to build gear for larger paddlers, which is nice. When I started there were almost no boats that would fit me at 300 lbs and 6' 1". Now more and more kayaks, including high performance ones, are on the market that i comfortably fit into, and Guillemot is also making kits for boats for larger paddlers. Wetsuits and PFDs are also available and I'm starting to see off the shelf 240 CM paddles. Speaking of paddles, I've been using a custom made 240 CM Werner Corryvrecken for years and absolutely love it. It will take all the power I can put out and gives me plenty of control without being excessively heavy.

4. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Getting in or out of a SOT is even easier without a frame seat in the way: to board, get the boat in the water a little less than knee deep, back up to the side of it. Reach behind and put your hands on the gunnels and sit down. Then just swing your legs in. Self-rescue is a similar process except that you use your hands to push the boat under yourself.

hoytedow likes this.
  5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

As I said before, you need to look at classic touring kayaks for inspiration. My short tandem, 14.7ft long, 30 inch wide, is rated 396lbs, the successor model, same dimensions but different shape is rated 529lbs. Another boat, a long single, 16.4ft long, 27inch wide, 440lbs. The Klepper Aerius 1, 16ft long, 28.3 inch wide is rated 661bs, the quattro version 793lbs.
    From CLC, the Mill Creek 16.5 or the High capacity Great Auk would fit the bill.

hoytedow likes this.

6. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Since average Beam is what gives stability, not maximum Beam, it may be possible to cheat a little when it comes to coefficient of Prismatic (cP)

Since narrow overall Beam must be restricted for ease of paddling, accepting a higher cP may be in order. This way, the Beam and Length can be kept within reason without going to deeper sections.

For instance, one could take the maximum area section and extend it straight for about 1/4th the length, then shorten the ends and end up with a cP of about 0.66 (assuming the cP of the kayak would have been 0.55). This may not be ideal, but it's probably far from terrible.

The original section area could be increased by adding maybe an inch or two to the max Beam, and increasing the sectional depth proportionately.

The kayak would be more stable.

It's 550 lb draft would be around 5.5 inches, it's Beam would be 27 inches, and it's length would be 14 ft.

hoytedow and Will Gilmore like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.