Just getting started.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ghmurphey, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ghmurphey

ghmurphey Glen

Hopefully next year I'll start building a 29 foot Trawler Yacht, providing I can afford it. It is anticipated that epoxy and wood will be used. My question is this, is there anyway that I can estimate the cost of the building materials?

2. Suede

Suede Junior Member

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

The only sure way to estimate the cost of the boat is to go through the plans and equipment list and itemize everything, and cost out everything individually. Add in factors for wastage (10-20%), the cost of shipping, the cost of tools and the place to build it--everything. Then there will be no surprizes. The single most common reason that do-it-yourself boatbuilders do not succeed in completing their boats is because they did not do their homework. They under-estimated the money and time it requires, and they likely got into technical problems that they did not know how to solve, or tried to solve and did poorly.

The watchwords are, do your homework.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.