70+ long ally or steel cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by charlesakeem, Apr 19, 2008.

1. charlesakeem

charlesakeem Junior Member

The actual build time is about 5 years away.
    In the meanwhile the idea is to use metal from shipping containers
    to make the hulls might have to try and rivet hulls together to make it thick enough
    steel shipping containers
    http://www.containersnow.com/containers/jacksonville/4.htm

Aluminum shipping containers
    http://www.containersnow.com/containers/jacksonville/5.htm

problems i can see quite clearly are the shipping container skins are to thin.
    1/16 an inch thick for ally
    14 gauge on the steel

I plan on propulsion using 2 400-500 hp marinized tractor trailer engines
    take up the criticism on marinizing engines ect on the link here

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22184

link to marinizing the engines are here

Well all the best rip my idea a new one so that i can know what i need to do and what i need to learn.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I am not sure what answer you are looking for here
    But there is no way of saying politely that your idea is ,quite plainly riduculous
    i want to tell you now, there are many (right) ways to build a boat, but there are no short cuts

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

say what dude:confused:

that is what my children say when i make grunting sounds:D

4. charlesakeem

Why

Not doubting the wisdom of those more experienced then me
    (currently 97% of members) but its know help to tell me its ridiculous unless you tell me why

5. eastcape

eastcape Senior Member

I think what my fellow members are trying to convey to you is:

It is great to see that you are thinking of alternative, recyclable, materials to build a vessel from. Environmental Greenies from around the world would applaud your concept of recycling scrap containers into a 70' Gin Place.:idea: :D

However, when building a boat you must always consider the safety of others first. If you have a family and friends, and plan to use this vessel with them on board then you should construct this boat to the highest possible standard and care. This process should start with a good design and followed through with correctly specified building materials suitable for marine applications. There are a number of economical construction methods available for "Do It Yourself" builders, but the ones you have mentioned do not fall into that category.

Always remember: If you start your boating life with a substandard boat made with substandard materials, it will be a very short boating life.:!:

I wish you all the best in finding a safe and suitable solution to your future boating project.:)

6. charlesakeem

Thank you

Thanks for the post so i will drop the pursuit of shipping containers as a hull.
    Maybe move on to seeing if i can melt down aluminum beer kegs into sheet.
    It would take about 550 kegs to make 8 tons and if this shall be the case i dutifully swear to attend enough keggers to reach my goal :)

7. charlesakeem

Switching plans

The container idea is off/ scratched out even though i think i may have had something with recycling keg cans. I think that even if i did manage to recycle melt down process and alloy then press it into sheet I wouldnt trust myself to weld it so i figured I'd go to a more easily workable material thanks for all those people who took the time to reply or view this post

My latest post is here
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=199114#post199114

and just so its known if one of my first idea's ever dead pan out I'd mostly like go into shock.

8. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

mad dogs and englishmen/yadda

9. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

Rats! You bailed out before I could finish the math! There is about $1145 worth of scrap aluminum in a container. You could burn out the wooden parts and shred the remainder to magnetically extract the ferrous materials (Hinges, lock mechanisms, nails, etc.) for less than 1200 dollars, buy the boat in the right state, declare it your residence then declare bankruptcy and voila! You have a boat. And you have become a name to be reckoned with at several government agencies!

10. charlesakeem

Oh really

I may have to go further into this plan with you.
    I am a dual citizen after all i can lay low in other countries for awhile if it means lifetime freedom

11. BigCat

BigCat Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.