Junk Rig Sails

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by KevinT, Nov 21, 2005.

1. KevinT

KevinT Junior Member

I want to outfit our boat with the Chinese Junk Rig. I am looking at a double masted design, with equal sized sails if possible. Although, I am not adverse to a smaller sail up front. Does anyone have any information on calculating mast locations for this rig? I understand that there is a WHOLE LOT of physics involved with this. My boat is 40' long, and steel. I've got plans for a similar boat made of wood of the same lenght. Could the sail plans for that boat be used???

Thanks!

Kevin.

1/ Boat is hole in the water you throw money into
    2/ House is hole in the ground you throw money into.
    3/ Car is box in driveway you throw money into.

Wife is Queen you give money to in order to carry on performing the first 3 tasks.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Kevin
    Best to re post this question in the boat design section.

cheers

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I want to outfit our boat with the Chinese Junk Rig.

WHY , are you going to limit yourself to following the Monsoons downwind as the rig is designed to do?

Do you like to play with a dozen lines (Snotters) on every tack?

A modern full battened main is far and away a better sailing companion when made of dacron.

If all you can get is old rice bags , the Junk rig might be more suitable, but for a sail loft bought setup the hassles and total loss of performance should be considered.

FAST FRED

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Junk sails are self tending when well designed. You don't touch anything unless there is the need to reef or shake a reef. The calculations are not different from any other kind of rig. However, you need to have the hull lines, true displacement and trim to do so.

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.