rebuilding engine/transmission mounting beds.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 7228sedan, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I have a 72 Luhrs 28 flybridge sedan. I'm in the process of replacing the wood timbers that the motor & transmission mount to. These wooden beds are roughly 4"x8" and are through bolted to the stringers. They run from the main cabin bulkhead back to about 2 feet before the transom. What species of wood is recommended for this?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Oak, red or white. Hard pine. Mahogany.

3. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Does anybody know where I could find a piece of hardwood roughly 4 X 10 X 16 inches? none of the local lumber yards here in NJ have anything remotely close in size.

4. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Also on another thought, I located a pair of fabricated aluminum engine bed brackets. They would bolt through the stringers and provide a mounting platform for the transmission mounts to bolt through. My only concern is; the wood mounting beds extended the whole height of the stringer down to the hull floor. Would the stringer be strong enough on it's own to handle the energy, or (as I assume) is that wood going down to the hull floor for a reason?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Your best bet is to make them the same as before. Anything else will need on-site engineering. 4X8" pine is readily available and structurally strong enough for the job. That is what they originals should be. They lasted almost forty years with probably a lot of holes for accesories, etc.

6. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I finally found a local mill that had 3 X 10 African Mahogany. I had them mill me a patch to spec; If I have this one long enough to put a diesel in, I'll be sure to replace the whole engine bed structure with that. It looks to be the answer. On to the next...

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those will be fancy beds ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.