Jongert or Robert Brasted

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by triggerfish, Oct 14, 2010.

1. GALANTA

GALANTA New Member

Spirit of Labrador

I organised and went on the cruise from Strangford to Southampton which is mentioned above. I sailed on the vessel on several trips including a six week cruise to the Azores from Ireland. The vessel was owned in 1978 by a doctor Myles Frankel who lived in Cork. I found the yacht to be able, seaworthy and comfortable. We had many good times.

2. JoDC

JoDC New Member

I had the good fortune to crew on Spirit from Martinique to Ft Lauderdale in 1981. In Fact Kerrioke had 2 uncles aboard at the time. Florence O Driscoll (RIP) was skipper, Richard was the mate. I had zero sailing experience on joining but a lifetimes worth of seagoing when I disembarked. This was a superb sailing vessel as detailed in the article above, and if anyone has the interest or time I'd be glad to share my memory of her. I sincerely hope that Spirit is still sailing and giving opportunity, challenge and pleasure to people of all ages.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

3. Richard Maguire

Richard Maguire New Member

This Schooner in the photo is BarrenJoey Of Pittwater Designed by both farther Richard G Maguire and Robert Bradsted of Lymington UK. We lived on her for a number of years traveling mainly to the west country and France a lot. Many amazing childhood memories. She was originally White with a black shadow line an did not have the cockpit dodger as shown in the photo. She was never a Jougert Design. Basically dad and Robert designed her on a napkin and then produced a full set of drawings so that Joyce Marine of Southampton UK could build her. I cannot remember who purchased her.. I believe an Irishman and his family.. not 100% sure on that fact. I have photos stored somewhere if anyone is interested. I know Barrenjoey was sold on to a Florida Hotel owner. I know this as dad told me the story of how gracious the new owners where when mum and dad discovered her in Miami then painted dark blue... Put them up in one of their many hotels... I'm super happy I found this rare photo... If the owner can let me know where she is that would be great... Thank you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.