1999 Johnson 50Hp Power tilt/trim?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by H20fwler, Oct 11, 2007.

1. H20fwler

H20fwler Junior Member

My power t/t quit working! At first I thought it was a low battery because it was slow moving but after charging and running the boat it has stopped working (it will do a little bump up and down - so I can move it but it seems to be a little less each time). There is no sign of hydraulic fluid leaking and the lift shafts appear to still be smooth (no rust)

How do I tell if it is just a bad motor or relay or if the whole unit needs to be replaced?

The motor is $170 and the relays are $15 but I can not find the hydraulic assembly listed on any of the online parts stores. But I have been told that it is not cheap.

Thanks in advance - I really do not want to drop a bunch of cash on this motor if I can avoid it.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Does the pump run when you activate the trim, or clicks?

3. H20fwler

H20fwler Junior Member

After the bump, I can not hear anything.

4. blared

blared ALFA

If it makes noise the motor works if it doesn't it dead.

5. redtech

redtech Senior Member

on this motor there is a connector between the pump wires and the relays
    if you diconnect the wires you can jump positive to green or blue and negitive to the other wire if the motor run the problem is up-stream if the motor does not run then replace the motor
    this is a two wire trim motor if the green in pos. and blue neg pump should go down if blue pos. and green neg. pump should go up

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.