1985 50hp Evinrude E50BELCOB - No Thrust

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by zamgod, Jun 5, 2011.

1. zamgod

zamgod Junior Member

Hi,
    Returning from a fishing trip a couple of days ago and with no warning engine began to rev up with no forward motion. Tried reverse gear....no propulsion! Tried forward gear...no propulsion! Managed to get home with Aux' engine.
    On the floating mooring, started the engine and water is circulating. Put it in forward gear....no prop movement! Put it in reverse gear....no prop movement! Stopped the engine.
    Took the cover off and selector lever on powerhead is working with remote lever. Put it into forward gear and turned prop by hand, the prop turned the flywheel and hence the engine. Put it into reverse gear and turned the prop by hand, the prop turned the flywheel and hence the engine. Both cases needed a fair bit of strength to turn the engine...not me a friend!
    Can anybody help me? I just can't see how it should work by hand but not with the engine.
    Thanks.

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Check the rubber bush in the prop.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

In other words get a new prop.. Thou it's possible to revulcanize the rubber bush but not very succesfully what I've noticed..

4. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Yes ,although it doesn't make sense that you can turn the engine with the prop ,I have known this happen .It is the first place I would look ,and Teddy is right a new prop is safest if it is defective.

5. zamgod

zamgod Junior Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the input. I'll give that a try.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.