Coating oars for a replica antique boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by billm313, Apr 15, 2011.

1. billm313

billm313 New Member

I am refurbishing some used 8-foot ash oars for use with my group's replica Eighteenth-Century bateaux. I would like suggestions concerning a coating or finish that I can apply to them. A period-correct finish might be nice if it can be expected to stand up to the fairly heavy use our boats get.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Study this link. http://prorestorers.org/notes/earlyFinishes.htm

" The range of materials from 1670 to 1840 did not change significantly nor did they vary widely among workers. A list of painting, varnishing, and dyeing materials used in 1680 resembles one of 1820, (Transparent Furniture Finishes in New England).

Mussey States "During the Colonial days, demand in Great Britain for scarce materials limited their export to the Colonies. The revolution of 1776 and the embargo of Great Britain in early 19th century brought a total halt to the importation of finishing materials to the United States. During those periods, then, it is logical to assume varnishes, for example, would have been made of local materials: rosin in its various forms, and turpentine making a cheap inferior, but locally manufactured and available.""

Bear in mind, this embargo did not include Canada. See http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/search/HG05_1.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.