job search

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by ozzmat2, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ozzmat2

ozzmat2 Junior Member

hi im looking for a job in the boat building / repair world..anything will do, cleaning and antifouling hulls to helping crew a boat..i just want to get involved and learn as much as i can...
    im from the uk and recently finished a city and guilds course in boatbuilding and fitting out. i have a small amount of experience and have my basic sea survival and RYA power boat level 2, also i would travel anywhere....can any body offer me any advice....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. The copper guy

The copper guy Junior Member

3. ozzmat2

ozzmat2 Junior Member

cheers,, il keep my eye on it ..ive tried lots of sites but il keep searching....

4. chrismcg

chrismcg Junior Member

try visiting every boatyard or workshop you can find with your CV in hand.
    i'v been doing this for years with varying success but i'v always found work in on really interesting boats eventually, sometimes it only takes 2 hours in the right area.
    another bit of advice if you make a list of companies from the internet and decide to send them an unsolicited CV, dont do it via e-mail always send a proper letter! i'v found that letters will actually get responses (generally) but e-mails rarely do!
    best way is by knowing someone who knows someone! find someone who knows someone in the industry, its your best way in!
    good luck really hope you find something

5. ozzmat2

ozzmat2 Junior Member

chrismcg

your right there, ive sent off countless emails, maybe 5 replys...

i was thinking off doing that, i have an old van, im thinking of chucking some tools and a matress in the back and heading to the med via south of france...what do you think??? do you have any ideas where to go???

thanks for your reply....

6. chrismcg

chrismcg Junior Member

give it a shot,
    i dont really know much about the industry in continental europe or if its easy to pick up work so if it works out for you let me know as i plan to head to france in a year or 2.

i cant see you having any major problems finding work, something always shows up!

best of luck with it!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.