Jig for laminating frames?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mohan Pakkurti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mohan Pakkurti

Mohan Pakkurti Junior Member

hi!

I wonder if anyone here has experience with building good jigs for laminating frames.

Mr. Pardey describes a professional one used at Walsted in Denmark. Does anyone have drawings of a jig you can share or sell for building a good laminaing jig for building a lot of frames :)

Thanks

Mohan

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Raggi, I was too on that site. is the used timber local timber? To be exact pinewood or fir from Scandinavia?

As you may understand, I cannot read any Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I made a few dozen this summer and as most find jigs, typically application specific, built as needed, particularly with something like frames. It can be done, I saw a cool bending jig used in a metal fab shop years ago. It was about 4' wide by 16' long chunk of 1/2" or 3/4" steel plate with elongated slots cut through it on about 4" centers. "L" shaped dogs, fashioned from angle iron stock were thru bolted in the slots and slid into position, for the shape required. This table was used every day and it's construction could be justified. In the time it took them to position the dogs and bolt them down, I can use small wooden blocks, drywall screwed to a plywood table (how I did the frames last summer) in the shapes I need.

If you're going to build a lot of frames a form could be built in the shape of the boat, but with all the space between the frames removed. This sort of looks like a oddly shaped barrel with an open clamp at the bottom and a bar on the other side to clamp the stock to after it's bent over the mold. The framing stock is inserted side by side down the form. These types of jigs are good if a number of boats to the same design will be under construction. I find bending frames on the work (around stringers or bands installed on the boat) a much better option then a mold or jig. Molds and jigs are sometimes the only way to make repairs.

What are you trying to build?

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

D'Artois, the wood for constructin is mostly pine (Pinus Sylvestris?), but a lot of local "leaf-woods" has been used for the interior. What do you call wood from trees with leaf?

6. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Deciduous

7. Are you doing a lot of IDENTICAL frames? How many at a time? Lumber or plywood? Or a spliced combination?

8. Mohan Pakkurti

Mohan Pakkurti Junior Member

Walsted jig

I have to replace most of the frames in a 32' Yawl, and going to just steam bend them as I have done before. but i am curious about this laminating jig at Walsted!

Mostly, I got curious after reading Pardey's description of the jig at Walsted. I would like to learn more about the Walsted jig :)

9. Dr. J

Dr. J Junior Member

One might have some trouble copying the exact bevels and curves inherent in most yawls over 30'. From keel to bilge and bilge to sheer/deck there can be many changes in the length and depth of curve and bevels from frame to frame. With more curve at midship, and greater bevels fore and aft, it would take an awful lot of time and effort to construct a jig to match the frame stations on your boat.As has been stated, most frame repairs and installations are site specific. Ensure that your hull is well supported at the critical points to prevent the hull from moving and steam away!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.