"JetPac" Can this be put on a Macgregor 26 somehow v. 150hp

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ry Labo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Ok, that makes a lot more sense now.

I live in a cool climate, so the warmth of the lined cabin was a big plus for me. It would be hot in summer and hot climes, as there is little 'flow' within the cabin of the mac. The sloping windows leave plenty of direct sunlight to the interior too, so it would heat up easily.

This would be the same for any full cabin boat of a similar size that I can think of, and for a lot of houses that don't have air-conditioning also.

The hatch on the Macgregor is very minimal, and I never used it - always preferring to walk over the cabin top. I cannot commend the hatch very much.

Sudden gusts on sailing boats .... well, what can I say. This is a big sailing dinghy and very light .. so if you are sailing, what can you do. There are plenty of yachts that get knocked over every year, even with tons of lead hanging off their hull.

So they found the noise of a 90hp less attractive than that of a 50hp ? That can happen. If you have a bigger motor, it usually makes more noise. His motor boat is probably quite a bit more massive too, with no echoing cabin.

But back to comparisons - has he ever tried to camp out on his motor boat ? It would be unusual to get one with the accommodation of the Mac.

If his motor fails 10 klms offshore on his motorboat - can he sail it home ? I guess not.

I cant think of any other model of yacht of easy trailer-able size with a 90hp engine that can have you back to shore 10 times quicker than any other sailing boat - unless its a Mac copy.

Its always the way - every boat has its strengths and problems, and the Mac wont suit everyone.

Like the OP, he has trouble finding a powerboat with the accommodation of the Mac. Thinking of putting a big powerpod on just shows a lack of appreciation of the lightweight nature of the hull, and he is obviously not a keen sailor.

Its important all boat owners look into what they need from a craft, and practical experience is the best way.

2. triciarob

triciarob New Member

Hi newbie here, checked the dates on this post and it doesn't say April 1st.

It's got to be a joke - right ?

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.