Jetdrives with Mercruiser Engines

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Eddy-Johnson, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Eddy-Johnson

Eddy-Johnson New Member

Hello, I have questions about Jetdrives in sport boats. In particular little aluminiumboats like they are produced in New Zealand. Maybe somebody can help me.
    I ask myself why jetdrives (for example from Hamilton jet) in most cases are driven with Chevrolet engines and not with Mercruiser engines. Are there there disadvantages? Are Mercruiser engines only good for sterndrives?

Many thanks in advance.
    Eddy Johnson
    Germany

ps: sorry for my bad english.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Mercruiser engines are the same block as the Chevy engines and all are made by GM. GM makes all the current blocks for the V-8s Individual changes in HP, etc are done by companies liike Merc and Crusader, etc.who turn out finished turn-key engines. So, your Merc hooked to a jet will be fine. Stan

3. Eddy-Johnson

Eddy-Johnson New Member

thank you for the answer.
    now I understand it better.

I have only been surprised why in New Zealand of 100 jetboats, only a few are equipped with Mercruiser engines.
    Boats like this one
    Are Chevrolet cheaper than Mercruiser engines?

Greetings from Germany

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

these people offer turn-key engines and also merc turnkey engines and post their prices.http://www.michiganmotorz.com/conditions.php
    Crusader engines are the absolute top of the line and seem to last forever. priced from 7,000 to 13,000US
    http://www.crusaderengines.com/
    5.7 Classic Carb
    320 hp
    $7,557

5.7 Capts Choice MFI
    330 hp
    $9,193

6.0 Capts Choice MFI
    375 hp
    $11,432

8.1 Capts Choice MFI
    385 hp
    $12,700

8.1 Capts Choice HO MFI
    425 hp
    $13,732

Recent quote to me in the State of Oregon W/O any delivery cost. Crusaders have dealers all over the US and Europe I believe

5. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

As has been suggested, Mercruiser just marinise the base GM engine. More often it is cheaper to marinise the engine yourself rather than pay some automakers union to do so. Also alot of aftermarket parts are available off the shelf, from heat exchangers and exhaust manifolds through to ECU's, camshafts etc. Also, Mercruiser (and others) don't always marinise the engine you want to use, take the LS series for example, very few companies offer these as a marinised out-of-the-box package, and if they do it is exclusive for a bigger manufacturer.

Examples of 'Marinisers' that use the GM as a base product.
    Mercrusier
    Volvo Penta
    Marine Power
    Redline
    Kodiak

No doubt there are countless others, but these are the ones I've come across and used before.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

last time I looked at a jet boat in NZ they were all Olds 455's. late 80's and also it seemed many jet boats in the US were also Olds powered.
    Guys in NZ told me Oldsmobile big blocks produced way more torque down low then chevs so were much more suited to jet drive boats
    They also were just like a ski boat engine marinising kit which verses a full imported MerCruiser which would cost double in price in NZ as it was in Oz years ago.
    Neither county had any laws like USCG regs( which they should of ) so you could marinize a car engine and go for it.
    I would say that by 1980 in Oz there would have been only a handful of ski boats with US marinsed engines due to the cost versus what was available new/rebuilt with a local marinising kit.
    Typically a local boat builder or dealer would buy a new or reco V8 and install a new kit on it and that is how boats were sold in OZ and I'm sure in NZ.
    GM ( holden in oz) also sold a marinised version of the Australian designed and built 5 ltr V8 but it was not built to USCG standards.

PS Speedboats, Rolco is doing LS engines
    http://www.kmrolco.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.