Jetdrive identity

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Andrew Spalding, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Andrew Spalding

Andrew Spalding Junior Member

Guys, recently acquired a old 16ft Super Simms boat that had a jetdrive unit. Can't see any identification but here is some photos of same. Appreciate any help in finding it's origins.

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Spalding

Some more images

Attached Files:

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I am wondering if it might be a PP jet?
    There was a very long thread about them on here some years ago - the last post (#102, 8 years ago) was by a chap with a Super Sims boat, asking for help.
    pp jet parts https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/pp-jet-parts.30054/

And post #4 in this thread might be useful?
    sims super v jetboat https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/sims-super-v-jetboat.33953/

Is your boat similar to this one advertised for sale?
    Photo 3 for Sims Super V Jet Boat https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/sims-super-v-jet-boat-35752/35755

4. Andrew Spalding

Thanks for this, so likely a copy of the PP design then. Overall its not in bad condition, likely bearings and seals and maybe a wear ring.

The boat looks similar to your photo as well

I'll keep reading a bit more.

Attached Files:

SolGato likes this.
  5. Andrew Spalding

Just worked out it's not a Simms but a Dateline and likely a Bikini model. What's confusing us is the impeller size at 7" as opposed to say the norm 6.5". Any thoughts on this

6. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

It is not a PP as far as I can see. There were a bunch of similar designs popping up at that time; borrowing detail shapes from each other. Forum member Anthony Goodson is probably the one to check with for this.

bajansailor likes this.
  7. SolGato

SolGato Senior Member

Cool boat!

Brings back memories of a 70’s Sidewinder (very similar style hull) that I once owned.

It was my first jet boat and a real oddball with a small block Chrysler motor/jet drive setup.

Always felt fortunate the jet drive didn’t need work once I identified it and discovered few people knew much about them and that parts were hard to come by.

Of course this was before the internet, so maybe not as difficult now, but back then people around my area only knew two brands -Berkeley and Panther.

8. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Hi baeckmo ,hope you are well. You are right it's a copy of a pp, the impeller should be measured at the inlet.

9. Tim Dawson

Tim Dawson New Member

Hi,
    New here, but you,re all probably fed up with the questions and busy eye rolling already!
    Just bought a Sims Super V with a jet drive and ford x flow.
    Engine holds no terrors but the jet drive is new to me.
    All in in bits now and no mechanical disasters.
    All I need to know is - where to buy spares or who to ask? Is stuff still available?
    I have downloaded and googled the pp65 jet drive manual .... with no results on part no search.=, but this doesn,t look much like the pics of pp65 anyway.
    Are there any manuals or links for this (boat specific) drive?
    Cheers,

10. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Without a photo it's impossible to tell ,which spares do you think you need ?

11. Tim Dawson

Tim Dawson New Member

Hi Antony,
    There are some pictures in another thread where you said "stick my neck out but it doesn't look like a pp65 ...."
    That drive type !
    Presently I only need bolts, bearings and seals - which can all be sourced easily.
    I really mean that when you search the web for part numbers from the pp65 pdf or maintenance details nothing comes up.
    Things like the wear ring, its retaining plastic ring and the plastic impellor collect are things I MIGHT need but who makes them?
    Cheers.