sea skiff with jet drive

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by richard gray, Apr 7, 2013.

1. richard gray

richard gray Junior Member

I have the need to get feed back on a 225 h.p jetdrive (350 chef 225 hp.) to push a 20ft. semi planing aluminium sea skiff of 20ft at 4500lbs? the idea is to have it with auto wheels so it can be driven ashore for storage etc. the wheels would be below hull 8 inches or so ( cat hull, with wheels in each sponson sea sled style hull) the drag has me puzzled.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A jet drive in a sea sled might not get clean (non-aerated) water, for a start.

3. richard gray

richard gray Junior Member

sea sled & jet drive

there is a slight dead rise v bottom 6 degrees and a slight rise of keel at last 5 ft to transom. and a width of 4.5 ft tween sponson skews. like a boston whaler hull. i think there will not be air trapped or funnel to jet inlet. my concern was about drag from rear wheels in wheel wells that are streamlined ,with possible partial retraction of wheels. i guess it would need more hp. and rpm to get it to work.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Why would you use a 225 HP jet in a semi plane mode? You've mentioned two distinctly different hull forms - a sea skiff, which is a warped bottom of fairly low deadrise and a sled which is an inverted V. The sea skiff hull will do well with a jet, though most sea skiffs a are full plane mode, not semi. The sled will not get along well with a jet, for inlet and ventilation issues. As to the wheels, well you can play with this is you like, but without an idea about you resistance figures and some hull shape images, any other answers would be just speculation.

Just some basic math suggests a sea skiff like hull this weight, with this HP should be able to manage the low 30's a sled likely better, if you could get it to eat some flow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.