issues with powder bound mat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nevilleh, Jan 7, 2011.

1. nevilleh

nevilleh Junior Member

Hi,

We are using a powder bound mat with iso resin as a skin coat.

I have noticed that the mat has wetted out ok, but then as it has cured it has gone shaded .

I am wondering if this could have been caused by the resin being under temperature (stored in the cold) and thus the powder binder has not been disolved by the resin.

Would be interested if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Neville

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Neville, sounds like an issue I had with some emulsion mat some years ago, then there were multiple options, & switched to powder bound & a different resin brand then all OK! Ondarvr would be the man to come in on this. Was the resin cold or the whole workshop, laid at the start or end of the day, hows the mat stored- any possiblity of being damp etc? Is the shading in the fiber pattern or the resin looks "milky" all over? I think your gunna have to do a series of small test panels, using different catalyst & % levels, different brand mat, different times of day/shop temp etc All the best from Jeff.

1 person likes this.
  3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Also, do you have pictures?

at least let the resin heat up to the same temperature as the workshop. A barrel of resin can take as long as a week to heat up. IBCs even longer.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The "gone shaded" part isn't very descriptive, but if you are seeing individual strands that show up after (or during) the cure process, but were for the most part invisible prior to it, it can be either the resin, mat, catalyst type or %, or shop conditions.

A more thorough description of the problem is needed for an accurate answer though, then a couple of tests can be run to verify which may be causing it.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

First question is if its cold id be looking for humidity and moisture ! like damp glass ! or damp surface ! moisture will make the glass look a little milky looking . Get some glass and dry it 100 % and resin it and let it go hard and see what happens . !!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.