Jet ski related layup questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nickireson, Jan 13, 2011.

1. nickireson

nickireson Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the site here, but enjoying the reading already.

I have two questions.
    1.) I had somebody approach me and ask me to make some carbon fiber (non visual) hoods for Seadoo hx jetskis, as they are very heavy, and light ones fetch a decent price. I was thinking 2 layers of 5.7 0z twill carbon sandwiched between 2 layers of 1 1/2 oz. fiberglass mat in a vinylester resin.....Think that will be strong enough?

2.) What would be a sufficient amount of carbon/fiberglass for a freestyle jetski hull? (I know thats a subjective question, but just throw me a bone)

Thanks in advance

2. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

I wouldn't get too technical but stock production skis are meant to last all forms of abuse and misuse, including running them up on beach, docks, trailers and overloading them with drunken fools.
    For a racing application much of the use may have to do with water impact and holding the shape together and a watertight engine compartment, so I'd speculate the weight could be half that much with E-glass cloth alone. Using carbon and sandwich cores you may attain greater weight savings. I'd start with a flimsy glass hull and measure flex and stiffen the areas flexing the most but as a stepped process so it doesn't sink and loose the motor. Remember that the rider is a significant percentage of the overall weight so much of the stress comes of where he is holding on to the ski

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sandwiching carbon between mat gives you the worst of both worlds. Carbon should be the skin with a core of foam or balsa.
    You are asking two questions: first on a hood, and then on a hull? Are they related? Seadoo and Jetski are different brands.

4. nickireson

nickireson Junior Member

The two questions are completely unrelated.
    Two totally different projects. One realistic (the hoods), on more of a pipe dream im just looking into for s and g's.
    Thanks guys.

5. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

I didn't know of a brand called jetski, I thought it was a classification of a vessel.
    Are Seadoos the ones owned by Suzuki and made in Canada, or is it Bombardier in it, or that's Polaris? Confused, I like Yamahas and Kawasakis :)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Jetski=Kawasaki