Help in Locating Similar Designs.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by GilK, Aug 2, 2013.

1. GilK

GilK New Member

Hi new to the forum. Just finished my second wooden boat a 12 foot skiff for fishing. I am trying to locate one or more similar designs for a wooden boat my father owned in the 50's. It was V hull, about 16 feet or longer, not really lapstrake but planking for sides and hull. I am posting a picture of myself and cousins sitting in the boat so you can get an idea of how it somewhat looked. See my attachment. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The photo shows a round-bottom bot, not V-bottom. The boat has thin bent frames and appears to have lapstrake planking.

Do you know anything of the history of the boat? Where it was built? Where was the photo taken? Any other photos?

You might also try the WoodenBoat forum.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Are you looking to recreate the building method, or just looking for a boat with a similar air about it?

Are you considering a motor, or will it be only human powered? If a motor, what hp?

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Judging from the picture it looks lap straked to me. Not a vee bottom. Vee at the nose but not at mid or afterplane. Could have been an old Thompson, maybe even a Lyman. Lot of similar boats in those days. Not possible to tell for anything close to certain..

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

There were a lot of those boats before and after WWII, up until the late 60's. It's a lapstrake seas skiff hull type. It's not a Lyman, but it could be one of several manufactured offerings through this period. She is a traditional build build and appears to be clenched, not riveted, though it's difficult to tell with the image quality. Thompson maybe possibly White Canoe, but could be one of several builders.

Plans for these are still available, though many are now glued lap, which saves the bother of all those steam bent frames.

6. GilK

GilK New Member

Thanks all for the replies. The boat itself was used in Wisconsin (Southern Wisc). It probably was built in the 1940s. I know it was planked so yes it probably Lapstrake, I remember my dad constantly trying to stop leaks from the planks with tar and paint, again back in the 1950s. An outboard powered it, and I now can recall that Vee was at the bow and the rest of the boat was more of a flat bottom. I would like to duplicate the look of it as best I can based on set of designs. I have been looking at some Atkin designs that look somewhat similar. Again thanks.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.