P.P jett drive

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by delfin, Jul 8, 2010.

1. delfin

delfin New Member

I have a P.P Jets drive in very good condition is there anybody ho need one
    6.5 "
    its rebuild and sandblasted and epoxy painted
    how many hp is it build for -- i cant find info on internet

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

The manufacturers claimed 60 to 200 hp for petrol and 10 to 50 hp for diesel,for the unit, take these figures with a pinch of salt. However how much horsepower your unit will accept, will of course depend on which impeller is fitted.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

200 for petrol and 50 for diesel?

Hp is Hp if you were quoting engine size that might see different numbers.

Like-- 3 liter (Ford v6 petrol) 5 liter (mecedes diesel).

4. anthony goodson

Good morning Frosty, figures taken directly from manufacturer's brochure issued at the time , I did mention a pinch of salt.

5. J3

J3 Junior Member

I think there are a couple of factors:

1.) I think it is about torque. Unless this doesn't apply to a jet drive as much ???
    With stern drives the diesel rated drives have beefier components to deal with the torque

2.) I think (to a lesser degree) it might also be about typical operating hp vs. wot hp for each type

6. anthony goodson

This jet was first made in the 1970's , lightweight high revving turbo or common rail diesels were not generally available then, so a diesel engine was considered as displacement mode only as far as small jets were concerned which is why 50 hp was the suggested max, ie that is all the power that could be absorbed at low revs by a 6.5 inch impeller .Things have changed since then which is where my pinch of salt came in.The most common engines used on this jet were the Ford Pinto ,Ford V6 and the Rover V8 all petrol engines. The deciding factor with this jet will be the impeller that has been fitted. The Pinto and V6 generally originally used a 3 bladed impeller with a 5 vaned stator ,the V8 used a 4 bladed impeller and a 7 vaned stator.When Richard Parker ran the company he would make stator/impeller combinations to match your engine.,and when small high speed diesels became common they were matched too.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

7. Way 2 Go

Way 2 Go New Member

PP Jets

Hi fellas, Im new to the forum but not to Jet boats.

Im interested in your PP jet how much for it and how many blades on the impellor? I have two presenlty, but spares are a nightmare so collect them.

Running a Old Fonda with 2.8 V6 with jet, but needs work. May fit a V8 later I have a few V8s here if anyone requires.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.