10 Hp Evinrude Hard to Steer

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Lt. Holden, May 8, 2008.

1. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Hi, all!

I have a 1960 Evinrude 10 Hp Sportwin outboard in excellent condition with very low hours. As received it had a broken tiller handle, which I replaced.

On our first test run (12' aluminum v-hull skiff) the motor ran great but the steering was so stiff as to be unsafe. I want to rectify this problem and get back on the water.

Are there any adjustments that control the pivoting action of the motor in relation to the transom mount? Or is it likely corroded bearings and/or pivot shaft?

I have attached a schematic of the motor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

there should be a grease zirc for the pivot tube this you'll had grease to till grease starts to come out either the top or bottom of tube
    if you look at the schematic screw 61 is a friction adjustment screw for the pivot tube loosen this screw and the pivot tube should free up

3. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

RedTech,

Thanks for your very prompt reply. I'll go out to the boatshed and check that out. I will post how it turns out.

Thanks again,

John Langevin
    Springfield, MA
    USA

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Pivot

If it does have a zerk, the cause could be dried up grease. If the motor has been sitting for a number of years, pumping in new may not help unless you clean out the old first. If loosening the friction screw doesn't cure it, then you might try removing the friction screw and spray a can of PB Blaster in the hole. Let it set for a few hours then start twisting the pivot. It may take a couple applications of PBB. PBB could also be used in the first instance if you think dried out grease is the problem. If that doesn't help next step would be to carefully disassemble the pivot tube assembly and give it a good cleaning and replacing anything damaged/corroded beyond reuse.

5. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Thanks guys! I got lucky, I just loosened the screw a bit and she turns fine now. One question, do I need to put a lock nut on that screw; so it won't back out?

Last edited: May 15, 2008

6. redtech

redtech Senior Member

the spring on the screw should hold it in place

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.