Jet drive swap for stern drive info

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by michael.ellis, Oct 9, 2013.

1. michael.ellis

michael.ellis New Member

i am looking at buying a24ft savage with a cummins 6bta-5.9lt 300hp. It has a hamilton jet on the back. If I purchase this I am looking at putting a volvo leg or a mercruiser leg on. Any info would be greatly appreciated, in the past I have married up a cleavland 351 v8 to a volvo 290 leg but I don't want to go throught making and machining of adapter plate if I don't have to

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

you would probably sell the cummins and hamilton for enough to get a good used volvo or mercruiser diesel stern drive michael. another option is a 200 4 stroke on a pod. i don't think the 6bt will have the rev range for a leg.

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Those I/O units are generally not fit for the torque of the Cummins 5.9. Rethink!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.