Jet drive identification and rating

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by jakeeeef, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jakeeeef

jakeeeef Senior Member

Hi,
    I am removing a jet drive unit from a 12'6" jetboat. I don't know what engine it had before as it is a bare hull but suspect it was a car engine as there is a step up drive (1:1.5) to increase the revs from the engine to the pump shaft.
    Before I spend time cleaning the unit up, I'm trying to deduce if this jet unit would be suitable for coupling up to a 120hp motorcycle engine in a similar hull.

The jet drive is a 2 stage unit with a glassfibre, moulded into the hull pickup tube and aluminium parts outside the hull.
    It has 150mm impellers (x2) and tube.The impellers are bronze.

It has a makers plate on the reverse bucket which says:

JET UNIT:
    MODEL NO 64
    SERIAL NO 1117
    UA ENG. LTD SHEFFIELD.

Am I wasting my time with this old 2 stage jet? I note jet units now tend to be single stage.

Second question:
    It needs cleaning up. How do I restore the old pitted oxidised aluminium to better condition, are there special paints and primers i should use?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.