Jerry Cartwright designs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi: Two years ago I purchased a steel 36' flush deck, pilot house cutter designed by the late Jerry Cartwright. I have been attempting to locate a set of plans for the same, or at least some information concerning Cartwright's designs in general but have had absolutely no success. Any ideas, or leads? Thanks.

2. Bob Perry

Bob Perry Guest

you are going to have to go back to about 1974-75 to find more Cartwright designs. As I recall Jerry was ex-navy and did some sinbgle handed voyaging before becoming a designer. He did a couple of cement boats to. I had a couple of exchanges with him and I found him to be rigid and a bit bitter. He was convinced that full keel was the ony way to go and that's the only type of boat I ever saw him draw. His boats tended to look the same with flush deks forward and small bubble like houses aft, plenty of freeboard and cutaway full keels. He did quite a bit of writing for various magazines but I can't remember anything specific. His passing saddened me. It not fun to lose a worthy adversary.

3. Brad Kelneck

Brad Kelneck Junior Member

I'm honored that you'd take the time to respond to my inquiry. My boat is as you've described, except that it seems Mr. Cartwright ultimately altered his views on full keels. My boat has a long fin with skeg mounted rudder. Another of his designs, the Cartwright 44 was produced on a semi-custom basis in Whitby, Ontario, Canada in the late 80's, early 90's. It too had a fin keel/skeg mounted rudder.
    Brad Kelneck

4. maria

I have a cartwright, fiber glass, and am looking for info on the boats. Any info would be arichated. thanks

5. Brad Kelneck

Hi Suzyn: As you can see from the postings to date, apart from the kind response from Robert Perry, I haven't had any luck in getting info. If I do, regardless of the source, I'll be sure to post it here and suggest you do the same.
    I do know that the Cartwright 36 was produced in fiberglass for a period in the U.S.. and have seen one listed for sale recently in Rochester, New York. It was a full keel, flush deck, bubble house design as described by Mr. Perry. I also know that the sail dimensions for that boat are on record at Air Force Sails (through Sailnet.com).
    Somewhere I have a catalogue line drawing for the Cartwright 44 that was produced in Whitby, Ontario, Canada in the late 80's/early 90's.
    Biographically, Jerry Cartwright was a solo sailor who competed in the OSTAR in the 1970's in a boat of his own design and, I believe may have also competed in one of the solo round the world races. I understand that he had a debilitating accident from which he never really recovered. His former home and design studio is now a bed and breakfast.
    That's about all I can tell you. What Cartwright do you have and what is your home port?
    Brad Kelneck

6. Bill Hayes

Bill Hayes Guest

Boatbuilder

I own a 44..old design..full keel..excellent boat...some took the molds and severly modified the boat..mine is for sail..Svheartsdesire@yahoo.com Thanks

7. JustineFn28

JustineFn28 New Member

I am Jerry Cartwright's daughter and might be able to get a hold of design plans if anyone is interested.

8. Brad Kelneck

Hi Justine:

From what i know, your father was quite a remarkable character. I would certainly be interested in purchasing line drawings/plans for my boat. It was built in steel and is actually only about 34'6" on deck, so I'm not sure if its actually a Cartwright 36. Unlike the the 36's i have seen in fiberglass, it is not a full keel, but rather a long shoal draft fin with a skeg rudder mounted well aft (actually extending behind the transom). It is a typical flush deck design with small pilot house that looks somewhat similar to the Corbin 39, of course without the canoe stern.

I don't know if the plans were modified by the builder, or if that was the original design for steel. Anyway, as I said, I am very interested. Here's to keeping your father's name alive.

Brad Kelneck
    SV Edith Rose

9. JustineFn28

JustineFn28 New Member

My mother thinks she has the plans for the 36, 44, and 40. She is not sure how complete they are. We are both so pleased that people are still interested in my dads boat designs and love the idea that in some way this will keep his memory alive. We would be happy to be of any help with the plans or information about the Cartwright boat designs.

10. Free Radical

Free Radical Julie Gifford

We have a Cartright 44 - currently in Trinidad. Check out our website
    www.svfreeradical.com
    Julie & Ed

11. Ksituan

Ksituan New Member

42 Cartwright Sloop

I am currently considering the purchase of a 42 foot Cartwright sloop. It apparently needs considerable work. It was last registered as "Cloud 9". If you have any information about the craft, its current country of registration, plans for the boat, or information about previous owners I would very much appreciate the information. Thanks for any help.

12. Brad Kelneck

Cartwright designs

Justine I'd be thrilled if you could check with your mom concerning the Cartwright 36 - anything she may have would be appreciated. As I said, mine was built in steel and wasn't a full keel, but even the line drawings or plans for one in glass would be wonderful to have. I'm, of course, prepared to pay for the same. Thanks,

Brad Kelneck

13. Brad Kelneck

Carwright 36

Hi Justine:
    Wanted to make sure that if you respond to my last post re: the plans/line drawings for your father's 36, that you have my current email address:
    bradkelneck@hotmail.com

Let me know if your mom was able to find them and how much you'd want to send copies.

Thanks,

Brad Kelneck

14. Sannyasi43

Sannyasi43 New Member

Cartwright 43

In June I purchased a cartwright designed 43 foot cutter. It's original name was Misanthrope and is now known as Sannyasi. I would also be interested in any information on this boat and other Cartwright designs.

From what I have learned Sannyasi was built in 1978 for the 1980 OSTAR race at Coddington Yachts and has a short deep keel and a skeg hung rudder.

15. JGHSkipper

JGHSkipper JGHSkipper

Cartwright Sailboats

I have a C-40 here in New England and would enjoy sharing the information I've accumulated since purchasing the hull in 1976 and eventually having the boat completed in 1992. Anyone so inclined can reach me at (413) 781-2222 or of course via email.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.