Jekyll and Hyde Classics

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Moggy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

I'm interested in looking for plans for a fast daysailor that is classic above the waterline, modern below the waterline and in most other respects.

e.g.

http://www.dixdesign.com/29Retrodidi.htm

Not so hot on the gaff but I guess that could be made into a sloop with the same approximate size.

Any suggestions?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

The didi looks pretty good. If you ditch the gaff go with a square top thats "peaked up" a bit for that retro flavor in a fast and modern sail.
    Good Luck!

Picture:1) the "peak" is higher than the "throat"-like a gaff: (could go even more with no detriment),
    2) Aussie 18's with "peaked up" squaretop mains:
    click on image-

Attached Files:

3. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

I wonder how far they can take it? A gaff is quite long.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Appendages like bow sprits are really hard to live with. When you return to port you spear right thru neighboring boats and impale innocent bystanders. The ole swordfish in a china shop syndrome...... Not good.

When day sailing you are always sailing in congested water...reefs, channels, two guys drinking beer in a fishing boat. I prefer a hull form and sail plan which gives the boat superior windward performance and lets you gracefully wiggle thru all obstructions.

Selftacking jib, jumbo mainsail, with masthead Code sails on a roller set off the stem of the boat. No spinnaker or poles.

Boats with outboard chainplates make it difficult for crew to move forward past the standing rigging. I prefer inboard chainplates and aft swept spreaders to achieve the correct geometry.

Once you have had enough sailing its time to drop anchor , go for a swim, then break out the sandwiches.

The ability to anchor and go swimming without a bunch of knuckle busting ,head bonking , yelling at your crew , while standing in a cockpit full of sheet spaghetti is desirable.

Anchoring requires an overhung bow profile that lets the anchor stay nested on the stem and drop free when needed. Plumb bow dont work

Swimming off a counter stern requires a clumsy long swim ladder to be erected. Better an open transom with a little stubby fold down swim ladder,

A concept all the lines of Alphena with modified bow profile and a classic sheer line. http://www.alphenayachts.com/

http://[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.