Hull separation

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by KtheOneNOnly, Jul 8, 2023.

1. KtheOneNOnly

KtheOneNOnly New Member

So I’m completely new to boating! I bought a 1978 Evinrude Kingfisher and of course something had to go wrong! A storm was rolling in and I was trying to load up the boat in some rough water. It’s an older boat and I know with the heat and the age of the boat, the rough waters wasn’t very ideal! Well I have a split located at the bow where the top part joins the hull. I’m a do it yourself kind of guy, but I also want it done right so my family will be safe on the water. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

How did the split occur?

One must be careful about hull integrity. If just rough seas cracked the boat there; the boat ought to have some thorough review.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The deck and hull are commonly attached by screws or rivets, they can get old and come loose. The trim piece hides the screws, pull out the screws or drill out the rivets in the affected area, line everything up and put some screws back in.