James Caird

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Dec 21, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Soraya and I went to a boatshow in London during my UK visit. Shackelton's boat, the James Caird, was on display. While still a good distance from her, I recognized her profile. To not only see, but touch, such a piece of history was one of the highlights of my trip.

We also visited Whitby, where James Cook spent his formative years.

I'll miss my Lady until we are together again in February, but it is nice to be home. I will not miss the price of food & drink in England though, let alone petrol.

Tim

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I know what your saying about the prices over here Tim, the food ain't even very good food compared to your standards either is it (I mean the standards not how it's cooked)?

Obviously enjoyed Whitby, strange to think that that wee port has in it's day been responsible for so many great men and events! Including Jimmy Cook it was also the English premier Whaling port in its day etc. etc.

Was the James Caid the original or was it the replica (built just up the coast from Whitby and used for a re-enactment of Shackletons famous voyage! Needless to say Shacleton wasn't on that one, apart from the fact he has been dead for some time who the hell would want to do that trip twice (or once even?)

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

It was the original Mike.

Actually the food was good, as was the beer, lager, & stout.

I found it ironic that out of my 16 day trip I was only on the coast 2-3 days. Next trip over in April we are going to rent a cottage by the North Sea and have a more quite, less hectic time.

London was interesting, but a little to fast paced for this country boy. The closest I got to Cornwall was Bath.

Maybe next time over we can hook up for a few pints.

Take care.

Tim

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Ok buddy, glad you enjoyed your visit (and of course being with your lady - but that goes without saying) maybe next time - look forward to it!

London is, how you put it, interesting!! but it's bloody overwhelming at times - I know I've worked there for the last four years!!

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.