Aluminum masts: mechanical properties

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gades, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi guys,

I'm doing the calculations for the rig, and I need the dimensions and mechanical properties of "big" masts (it's for a 60 footer).

In my books I've found material properties for smaller masts, but once it goes big....

Anyone has any data available?

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Fernando

My copy of the Boat Data Book has typical mast section information for WL of 50ft and and 80ft and information together with tube thickneses, weights etc.. If you need the info let me know...

Paul

3. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Thanks Paul,

oops, sorry but at the end I don't need it. I made a huge mistake, I forgot about the Heel Angle Check, so I was using a stronger wind than I should have. Therefore, my wind pressure was way too high (since wind pressure depends on the square of wind speed).

I've got the book as well, but couldn't find a mast big enough :D :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Fernando

4. WPLANE

WPLANE Junior Member

In the future, you should consider contacting spar manufacturers for this data. They usually publish sectional properties for their spars.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.