What kind of all-welded Jon is this I’m stumped

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Clayton, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Has a built in live well, 1542, all-welded. Contacted allweld, Weldbilt and landau; they don’t claim it. In Arkansas 4years ago didn’t have to have a hin number to register a boat. Previous owner had it registered, under a last 9 digit hin number but the mfg letter wasn’t there. It’s a 1987. I know that it has just serial number on the transom brace. I need to try and figure out who the mfg was. In other words the revenue office just put down the last 9digits. Since then transom has been rebuilt, no plates. And the Arkansas game and fish says there is a hidden number. If I could just get who built it will get me closer to success and live well was built with boat, it’s not homemade

Attached Files:

2. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Or even better yet, someone tell me where the other hin number is

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How do you know it is a 1987? Also, whether it is homemade or not is not really important. Can you get a homemade HIN?

4. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Supposedly the last 9digits. On the very end of that number is the year. In Arkansas before this new law was passed if you had a boat that the transom was destroyed because of log crossings and traveling without braces on the motor you could register them under reconstruction, homemade, but now if it is later than I think a 73 model if there is no number on the transom, they want you to find the other, which I cannot. Fixn to get game warden involved. It’s a good boat, but I’m at the end of what I know what to do. Spent 8hours on the phone yesterday trying to figure this out. Definitely not going to cut the boat up trying to find a number that will cost more than the boat is worth getting everything welded back into place.

5. Clayton

Clayton New Member

And me trying to find out what boat it is might help. Seems to me like late 80s. There were a few boat mfg that looked the same. My hope is if there is not another number, and I can send a pic to game and fish, in turn they send it to Corp and I can just say it’s a alweld and they will issue a number. Because you can’t really tell the difference between several makes. I guess unless you actually build them. But pretty sure it’s wishful thinking. I have another boat that is an old 1436. All they want is a pic and what make it is. And if the Corp signs off on it, they send me a number. But there again, it looks like an old alumacraft, riveted, but they could kick it back. There are a ton of old boats laying around down here that they opened up a can of worms on. Our taxes will probably go up, because of the state having to hire extra help for this issue

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it is less than 12 digits, then it is from before 1972. Simply tell them you don't know the year but it is before 1972 since it only has 9 digits.

7. Clayton

Clayton New Member

They tried to tell me that the last 2numbers was the year, which was 87

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

9. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Were there alwelded boats made pre 73

10. Clayton

Clayton New Member

And they are telling me it should have 12, first 3 being mfg

11. Clayton

Clayton New Member

I wonder if it could be a weld craft. They all look the same

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There were some. Search vintage aluminum boats and a few come up.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I need to correct my statement, it should be 12 digits (ideally). However, in the past they could've been 11 to 13. However, a 9 digit HIN is definitely from before 1972. The last two digits do not mean the year of manufacture, they are random.

14. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Arguing with game and fish is no fun. Called game warden today; he asked what was the next step boat enforcement had said. I told him they was pressing me to find the other "hidden number”. I told him that there were 3coats or more paint on the boat. They gave me hints of where it might be: live well, rear corner braces. There is the serial number on the transom brace but that is all I found

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The "hidden number" would only exist if the boat was post HIN regulations, which its not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.