It's finally time for some nice seats for the flybridge

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by missinginaction, Feb 9, 2014.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Wow, my little 27' Silverton Sedan is almost done. I'll post a few photos when the weather warms up (if it ever warms up).

I decided to add some decent manufactured seats up top. A captains chair on the right and a small sofa on the port side. I've found a number of manufacturers on line such as Veada, and there are the mass manufacturers such as Todd and Wise.

I'd appreciate some feed back if any of you have experience with these manufacturers and I'm open to other companies as well. I'll probably spend up to about $1k for the seats and pedestals. I'm not crazy about putting vinyl up there but I'll cover the seats when they're not in use and hopefully with a little tlc they'll hold up.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.....

MIA

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

No advice, but I feel your pain about the weather. It's been too frigid for too long up here. I have a heated and insulated garage, but I still fear the gas bill when it comes.:(

3. missinginaction

I've got power available down in the boat yard but even so when the outside temp is below say 20 degrees I just can't get the boat warm enough to be comfortable doing inside work.

I didn't know if I'd get any replies on the seat question. Just decided to go fishing, just in case someone had a line on a supplier that I hadn't heard of.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't have much in regard to manufacture recommendations, but I've found is easier and cheaper to just let a local awning shop make up new cushions. Most seats are just a few brackets and a plywood cushion base, and ditto for the back and arms. Let them strip off the old vinyl, using them as patterns and sew up some new ones. Of course, this assumes you have something to start with. I'd go down to the local boat bone yard and pull two of the worst looking pedestal seats out of something, so they can't charge you much. Take them apart,, clean and paint the metal and let the local guy, that's really tired of bimini and awning work, have a go at a recover. You can control the look, the cost and you can brag about the custom seats.

5. missinginaction

Hi Paul, Appreciate the feedback. The old flybridge seats were part of a molded fiberglass one piece unit that bolted to the cabin roof. It was absolutely the most uncomfortable thing you can imagine. A hard fiberglass bench seat that was about 10 inches off the cabin top. Yep, you pretty much sat on the roof.

That's why I decided to make my own flybridge and spend last summer designing and building it.

I'll put a captains chair on the starboard side and probably a 36" one armed bench to port, like you'd see on a pontoon boat.

Most likely to go with a firm called Veada.

I see it's in the mid-seventies down there. Lucky you!

Regards,

MIA

6. PAR

Yeah, we have it pretty tough. It was in the low 80's last week, but we're back to the usual low to mid 70's now, with no bugs or humidity.

7. missinginaction

I gotta get the hell out of here. It's 1 degree now heading for maybe 20 later on. Tomorrow at this time it's forecast to be 8 below. I could justify living up here when my mother was alive, I needed to keep an eye on her. But now it makes less sense. Frigid cold and road salt, and high taxes. Two more years and my son finishes high school.

Enjoy Paul, I have to go scratch my dry skin now:(

8. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Yes, Paul loves his Florida weather.........................But then, so do I. Argh! :(

Like you, MIA, I have plans to move south, but I'm finding it to be a moving target that I can't quite get locked in my sights. :mad:

9. PAR

"Come on down" . . . we got room. It's currently 75 degrees and the "snow birds" are still here clogging up the highways, with their inability to drive like normal folks. They'll leave around Easter and we'll have the state to ourselves again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.