It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

hey KB, are you putting any chopped strand fibers in the fillets? They make it even worse to sand, but give a lot more strength

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hy Charly

No fibers. There'll be plenty of tape & glass going over top of the fillets. They're not really very thick so the wood flour & cabosil should be fine at least the designer doesn't think anything else is necessary.

Thanks for looking in. Appreciate the comments.

Right out of supplies now. I managed to get about 25' of fillet done with the dregs of the wood flour bucket this morning. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got a few days to wait for funds to hit my credit card before I can order more tape. Wood flour & cabosil are on their way so I'll still have time to get some more fillets done. Holy Crap there's a lot of them that need to be done!!!

How much effort is involved? Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/how- ... olved.html

Standby.....

3. KnottyBuoyz

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Do you have 'snow' trees....;)

How about putting a littlle masking tape at the edge of the fillet lines - each side to limit the fillet spread?. Then when you run the spatula/part circular fillet maker along it just scrapes these. Later when half cured peel off the masking and when cured sanding flush is a doddle and neat.

Coming along nicely, keep up the good work.

5. KnottyBuoyz

Hey SS

I'll save that tip for the cosmetic stuff later. These will never be seen once the inside taping & glass is done. I'm not the neatest worker and I'll have to sand them all first so being a little messy at this stage doesn't hurt.

Thanks for looking in. Appreciate it.

Cheers

6. groper

groper Senior Member

Keep it up mate, just thought I'd add something for you. I ALWAYS tape over fillets wet on wet. I wet out the ply with resin, apply the fillet and tool it off, then straight into wetting out the tapes on a wetout table before transferring onto the still wet fillet. The fillets come out neater and there is less work no need to abrade between steps. If i run outa tape, I'll do something else instead. If the seams are going to be visible, peel ply over the filler and tape aswell, makes it even neater and another sanding step there too.

7. KnottyBuoyz

I should have enough tape by the end of this week to do it that way Groper. I'm not too worried about these seams, they won't be seen. They're actually pretty rough so after sanding they might get another coat of goop and then I'll tape them wet on wet. I do use the peel ply on the seams that need more tape. It's a big job doing it alone so I have to get myself a bit more organized! I'll do a lot neater work on the topsides. I promise! :)

Thanks for the tips.

8. groper

groper Senior Member

I didn't want that to sound like it wasn't neat, it was more to mean it saves time and effort doing it wet on wet. ..

9. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I think the whole point everyones getting at is there will be no sanding if you do the wet on wet and peelply thing.Did I mention no sanding?

Wood flour is hard to sand also, hard like rock.

10. KnottyBuoyz

That's it. I'm done for the season. I'll be back in the spring when I get proper materials to work with. It was a good year.

The biggest milestone this year was the flipping of the hull. Given our short building season up here I've got about a year and a half's work into the boat so far.

M/V She:Kon: That's a wrap 2014

11. KnottyBuoyz

My buddy Peter was in need of some 'Sandtherapy' yesterday so he showed up, sander & sandpaper in hand to work on my boat. He's had a bit of a rough time this summer & fall so he considers any chance to hang out in the boat shed 'Therapy'. Who am I to stand in his way of pursuing 'good mental health' eh? :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

He jumped right in and started at it. The temp outside was a balmy -5C and inside the shed the same. Ideal conditions for sanding as Peter says. Me, I like it a lil' bit warmer but after some consternation I suited up and we went at it for an hour or so before a 'breakfast' break of MRD's. (Meals Ready to Drink).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Working on a video, "Bull Sh*t from the Boat Shed" to be online sometime today.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/11/chil ... anity.html

12. KnottyBuoyz

Well sh*t. I guess I lost sight of boatdesign.net forums over the winter! Doh!

I haven't been totally slacking on my project but then again progress has been a bit slower that I would have liked.

So for those who don't follow my blog here's what I've done this year.

Spent some time with my head in the bilge, filleting & taping the box keel.

[​IMG]

Taped all the seams and produced a helluva lotta sanding dust!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got one layer of glass on the box keel, port side bottom and port sides.

[​IMG]

Butchered up some aluminum plate to make a skeg.

[​IMG]

Hung some glass.

[​IMG]

And gooped it all down. That's about it other than some tinkering with the stringers & air compressors & hobby welders etc.

I'll try to keep this thread current from now on. Sorry.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  13. KnottyBuoyz

Finally got a little relief from the heat. Hit the shed early and got to work!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Starboard side aft bottom panel wetted out.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tomorrow the bow section.

Standby....

14. KnottyBuoyz

Port side inside done. Took over an hour longer than the other side. I couldn't get the fabric to wet out. What a PITA. Must have been a combination of the temperature & humidity or something. I dunno. :confused:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gonna keep plugging away at it.

Standby....

15. KnottyBuoyz

Sanded in prep for more glass on the starboard inside & bulwarks. Didn't take too long but long enough to make it pretty much unbearable to goop it today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Should take me about the same time as the port side did. Three hours and 2 gallons of epoxy. I'll only have the bottom section on the starboard side and the transom then it'll be onto the 12 oz fabric which I hope will go a lot faster.

Standby...