It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

2. KnottyBuoyz

3. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Looks like my second career in the Coast Guard has come to an end. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. So today it was back to the boat shed! :D Wohoo! Boy did it feel good to get back to work on the boat!

[​IMG]

Updated our web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/10/back-to-it.html

More Sandinsanity tomorrow. Standby....
    [/FONT][/FONT]

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Standing by.

5. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Had to change things up a bit and drill a hole in my hull. No, not for kicks, for the rudder post.

[​IMG]

This rudder came with the kit when we bought it. I don't know if it was actually made for this boat so I had to stick it up there and get some measurements. The rudder shaft will have to be modified a bit. Work I hope to get done this winter.

Web Log Updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/10/changing-things-up-bit.html
    [/FONT][/FONT]

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Re the added 39" at frame "E" it looks like you're adding a straight line to the middle of a curve. How do you intend to address the element of fairness?

7. KnottyBuoyz

Hi Easy Rider

I let the natural bend of the long panel determine curvature of the sides. It added about an inch to each side making the beam 10' 2" total. There's just a tiny bit of a flat spot on the chine where the splice was put in but it's barely noticeable now. Its down the side almost exactly where the small hand sander is located.

[​IMG]

There's also a bit of a flat spot on the bulwark sides that'll be covered by a rub rail so it'll never be seen. I had a bit more of a problem with the bottom panels, not getting the splice perfectly square cut, but I eventually split the panels apart once they were on the strongback and taped them back up in proper alignment.

I should add that I put in the spices a bit oversized and trimmed them later using a batten as a guide. This worked well.

That's all for this season folks. Calling it a wrap! Web Log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/11/thats-wrap.html

8. KnottyBuoyz

Now that Mother Nature has stopped poopin' white crap on us and the temperatures have moderated a bit it was time to get back into the shed and get back to work. One of the things I wanted to get to this winter, but got shut out of the shed by an early snow fall was take the rudder to be modified. I want to add two flanges to the shaft so it can be unbolted without having to lift the boat or dig a hole. The first black line nearest the flanges marks the bottom of the boat.

[​IMG]

I didn't build the rudder, it came with the kit so I had no idea how it was put together. It's slightly too big fo the boat, as near as I can figure. If my calcs are correct there'll be virtually no room for the flanges so I cut into the rudder to see what lies underneath.

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/04/somethin-was-buggin-me.html

A few days later I decided to use up the remainder I had of last years Quickfair. I haven't really used this stuff too much and wanted to get used to it. It doesn't keep well in opened containers. The hardener side grows a yellow scum on top that's hard so all that had to be scraped out before I could use it.

[​IMG]

Used up the half gallon or so I had of the QF and got it on the hull bottom. Didn't go quite as far as I had hoped. I have three gallons on hand and that should be enough to finish the bottom, keel and sides. *fingers crossed*

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/04/todays-mission-should-you-choose-to.html

Last October I ordered the Flexicat spreader and long board tool. Still not here. Hopefully they'll be shipped from the EU early next week. I'm hoping they'll be a decent investment. Check back a little later and I'll show you how it goes with the Flexicat.

Standby.

9. KnottyBuoyz

10. KnottyBuoyz

Ok, bum tooth is out. It was fractured all the way to the bottom of the root. Feeling much better now! Time to get back to friggin' work!

[​IMG]

More poo going on the hull. I sanded some I laid down the other day and after 20 minutes it felt like my arms were going to fall off! A lil' outta shape ya think? Yup! I'll pay for it, dearly. If any of you guys have done any large area fairing before and have any tips to share I'd appreciate it.

Web Log Updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/05/weeskers-in-my-poo.html

11. KnottyBuoyz

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Glad the dentist got to the root of the problem. Blue tarp shed seems to be holding up well.

13. KnottyBuoyz

Hey Hoyt

It's holding sort of Ok. The top needs to be replaced. I'm going to try a silver hay tarp this time. Get it stretched as tight as we can and battens on every bow. That should get me through to the end. The shrink wrap just wasn't up to the task.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Sanding around the boat in 6 hrs. Onto the transom!

[​IMG]

Nice a$$ Baby! Even if it is upside down! :p
    [/FONT][/FONT]

14. KnottyBuoyz

Time to get caught up again. It's been awhile.

So my life has been all about sanding lately. Both sides of the hull have been rough faired till I get some 3M dry guide coat. Until then I've moved onto the keel which I mudded a couple weeks ago.

Working my way down the port side. It's fill/fair, fill/fair and fill again and fair again. The defects get smaller and smaller and fewer and farther inbetween.

[​IMG]

The biggest issues I had in fairing this has been where the chine is. There's at least 11 layers of tape & cloth there that leaves a pretty big edge to fair. I tried to keep them feathered out as I went but still have 3 or 4 coats of fairing compound & sanding to get the dips to disappear.

The bow had proved to be a bit of a challenge. The way the panel developed when I pulled into position to stitch warped it a bit. There's a pretty good concave below the tape lines and along the leading edge.

[​IMG]

Here's an overall shot from up on high!

[​IMG]

There's more pics & video's on our blog. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca

Thanks for looking in.

15. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Thank's for posting.