It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hey fellas. I guess I've been remiss in keeping you up to date on my project, a bateau.com TW28 that we've stretched to 31'+. I was posting updates in the 'what have you done this weekend thread' but that hasn't happened in awhile.

I guess since then I've had an accident that left me with a bum right knee and set our project back about 9 months or so. Recovering a bit from that I jumped into the project as best I could this spring. I think when I left off I had laid out the first layer of fiberglass on the keel. Well things have gone a bit farther since then.

[​IMG]

The keel, transom, bottom and sides have all had multiple layers of glass applied. The pic above is the starboard side (aka the dance floor) and the other side (aka the bowling alley) have all had 1 layer of 33 oz Vectorply triax and 1 layer of 12 oz biax 0/90 applied. The sides have 1 layer of 1708 and 1 layer of 12 oz 0/90. The keel has double the schedule of the sides. The transom got 1 layer of 20 oz Basalt triax and 1 layer of 12 oz biax 0/90.

[​IMG]

I've put a tremendous amount of effort into getting the layers as fair as possible. I'm trying for the best finish I can get and make quite a few mistakes along the way that need special care (read sanding away my sins). :p

So we're pretty much caught up but it's been a wild journey so far. Right now I'm just testing filler recipes for the bottom & side panels. The 12 oz biax leaves a pretty pronounced weave that needs filling before I apply the final layer of 10 oz satin weave. I found this out when I tried the 10 oz satin weave on the transom. I ended up with quite a few bubbles under the peelply (which by then it was too late to do anything about it but wire brush them open and fill them).

[​IMG]

It's kinda hard to summarize it all up here in a few paragraphs so I invite you to view our web log for all the goofy details: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/

Thanks for looking in fell's. I'll try to keep this thread updated as I go.

Standby...

2. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Subscribed.

3. KnottyBuoyz

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Glad to see you are back and I will continue to follow the build. :)

5. KnottyBuoyz

I finished up the latest phase of my wife's sewing room rehab yesterday so today was my first chance to clean up the boat shed a bit. I made a terrible mess butchering all that nice wood. :p

Anywho, I updated our web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/09/my-ole-grandpa.html

Mostly just a few musings on the project so far and what's ahead.

Thanks for looking in.

6. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]So, actually going to work really messes up a good boat building project but not for the next little while (if ever). The project I was working on is running behind schedule, contracting issues, so it's back to the boat shed for me.

I was very very sloppy with the last glass job on the keel so spent about 4 hrs cleaning that up with the sander. Didn't take any pics but I've updated my web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/09/sandinsanity-acetone.html
    [/FONT][/FONT]

7. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hung the 10 oz satin weave on the sides in prep for tomorrow's epoxy session. I'm just a little nervous about this step. This 10 oz stuff isn't exactly easy to work with.

[​IMG]

Web Log Updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/09/twas-night-before.html
    [/FONT][/FONT]

8. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

I read, somewhere deep in your blog, where you stretched the boat. Could you remind me? IIRC it was in the area of the galley???
    The side door is a good addition, will it be a tricky bit of work?

9. KnottyBuoyz

Yes we stretched the design. Added 39 1/8" to the center on the widest part of the boat (Frame E). This will give us room in the main cabin for two helm chairs and bring the galley up from below.

The shaded area shows the extension.

[​IMG]

10. KnottyBuoyz

11. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

OK, I see, the photo shopped image on your blog is what the stretched version will look like.:idea:
    IMO the proportions look better on the stretched version

12. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Another productive day in the Big Blue Boat shed and a milestone (sort of) reached. The last layer of glass went on the port side today. That's the last glass on the outside of the hull. Onto fairing from here. Who's got a favorite fairing compound recipe to share? :D

[​IMG]

Web Log Updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2013/09/i-do-try-to-learn.html
    [/FONT][/FONT]

13. KnottyBuoyz

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Standing by.

15. KnottyBuoyz