items to stockpile?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hariandro, Feb 6, 2017.

1. hariandro

hariandro Junior Member

guys please suggest me on What items can I begin purchasing now that will ultimately be useful in 7-10 years when I buy a 7-10 year old cat? For example, I would think lines, anchor chain, an anchor would be items that stored properly will be pretty standard on the type of boat I will be looking for. I would think solar, electronics and safety equipment would be better waiting as I would want to take advantage of newer technology. Thoughts? What items could be purchased early when I come across great deals? ?????

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Nothing, put the money in the bank and buy what you need, if and when you get the boat.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yep...money

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thou$and.

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I'd agree that saving your money is the wisest choice but remember guys, we live in the United States. The situation may be different in India where large denomination cash notes were taken out of circulation last year by the government. We don't have those issues here.

I'm not sure but that may be why he's asking the question.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

If he bought a 7 year old cat, one would think that it has anchors, lines etc? would you not?

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes, and even if it didn't, when you buy in advance you typically end up with the wrong items anyhow.

And frequently life gets in the way of great plans and you don't end up with a boat, just a bunch of stuff stacked in a shed that you have no use for.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Scot McPherson

Scot McPherson Senior Member

Again, we don't know this person's situation. It may also be that he can't just go to the local West Marine and pick it all up. Or maybe in areas where there are marine supply shops, they are very over priced targeting the foreign travelers coming through, and not really catering to the local people. Perhaps he has to get stuff when it's available and so his 7 year plan allows him to gather what he needs rather than buying a boat and not being able to find anything needed.

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member

So what does his boat that he is going to buy in 7 years time need?
    That is the question.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, that's the real issue. A boat of the perceived vintage will have most everything it needs, though some of it will be worn, likely still serviceable. This said, all boats can tolerate upgrades, but each will have specifics, not generalities to consider, particularly a used boat.

Gathering up some rode, ground tackle, tools and repair materials is wise, but he simply doesn't know what he'l actually need yet, so the best option is to get much closer to the purchase date, when a prospective list of candidates is possible, then consider the potential upgrades that might be necessary. If he's like any other boat nut, he'll already have lots of rode, spare winches, gear, PFD's out the butt (at last count I think I have about 2 dozen), etc. Either this, or he's nothing like all the sailors I know.

10. Scot McPherson

I have lots of spare lines of several types, PFDs (I think I have 12), 4 seasons worth of foul weather gear, several anchors, float jackets.

Actually there is an idea for you...get stuff for you to wear...This stuff is almost as pricey as some bits of equipment....

This list will depend on where you plan on sailing and at what times of year, but here is a comprehensive list of personal gear.

Get some boat shoes and boat boots.
    long sleeve shirts (its hard to get out of the sun when you must be the helmsman)
    Wide brim Hats

Wind Breakers
    Deck Gloves (fingerless)
    3 season Deck gloves (neoprene with fingers)
    Winter Deck Gloves (regular winter gloves with grip for handling lines)
    Inshore Jacket
    Offshore Jacket
    Offshore Bib (pants)
    Mustang Float Jacket
    Mustang Bib (pants)
    Mustang Survival Suit

PLB (Personal Location Beacon(Personal sized Epirb))
    Whistle
    Strobe Light
    Knife
    Lanyard for the whistle and knife

Lots of boats will already have these, at least the type 3s, but having type 5 PFDs that fit you properly is a really good idea:

Type 5 PFD Lifejacket for you and your regular passengers that will wear them all the time (if you like them)
    Type 3 PFD For any extra passengers and those who wont wear the type 5 at all times.
    Type 1 PFDs if you are going far offshore.

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Hariando
    Within Scotts list are some items that might be on your boat that I would stay away from buying in case they are already there.

You mentioned anchors etc, why take the chance of duplicating an existing piece of equipment. No savings there. And if you are not an experienced sailor, you will find that there are many different
    types of anchors that work better in different types of ground. See what is on your boat.

I would leave out the strobe or EPIrB only because some of them have a shelf life on the battery and by the time you buy the boat, they might be at the end of their service/maintenance schedule

Same for the Mustang type 5, they have a scheduled maintenance schedule which include re arming the CO2 cartridge and trigger mechanism. ( how many of us do this)

1 person likes this.
  12. Scot McPherson

barry is right about the type 5 PFDs, Strobe and the PLB/EPRIB idea. I hadn't thought that thru, but the "clothing" should be fine to get now.

13. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Ho hum
    Another poster who has baited you. Or maybe not.
    What should I buy that will be useful in 7 - 10 years when I buy a boat that is 7 - 10 years old.
    This means the boat he is going to buy is currently brand new.
    If he took out a 10 year loan the boat would be his in 10 years with everything and he has even had the use of it for the last 10 years.

Or, have I been drinking too much?

It is a South Australian Tawny Port. Great drop.

Poida

14. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Looking like a correct answer.... lay down a few bottles for later consumption... I have no hope & like mine fresh;)

Jeff

15. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Every time I buy a boat, I end up having a garage sale to get rid of all the stuff it came with. Then I take the stuff that didn't sell to the dump. Sometimes that means several trips. As best I can recall, I have acquired about 10 tvs I didn't want. I have only ever bought one tv in my life, the rest all came out of boats or RV's. I still have about half a ton of stuff I can't quite bring myself to part with that has no conceivable purpose on anything I currently own, but you never know ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.